It is currently April 24th, 2024, 1:54 pm

Gadgets 7.6.1 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
Yvese

Re: Gadgets 7.4.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by Yvese »

SilverAzide wrote: October 28th, 2022, 10:52 pm Hello! No, there's no way to do this. The GPU Meter is not intended for this purpose. It sounds like what you really want is something like the Gadgets Additions HWiNFO Monitor skin, which shows something like 20 or so sensors that you select. (I'm not sure if this suite uses the old HWiNFO plugin that requires shared memory or not.)
Alright thanks! Love the skin btw. Been using it for years :thumbup:
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

Yvese wrote: October 28th, 2022, 9:51 pm I don't think that helps with my question unfortunately unless I'm reading it wrong. I just want to hide the default sensors in the GPU Meter graph so I can add the sensors I choose instead ( thanks to the latest version adding this ). I don't see an option to hide the default sensors, just the additional ones unless I'm blind ( likely )
Nope, you are totally fine. My answer does not have anything to do with your problem. It seems that I replied in a wrong thread. Apologizing for the confusion.
Hilary Querrien

Post by Hilary Querrien »

Hi. I thought i'd try using the gpu gadget to get a display of my graphics card process because the fan was making noises. So yesterday I had it all set up nicely (except for displaying 2 meters where I only wanted one because I have an inbuilt AMD one and an nvdia card which is the one I want to know about). Anyway, when I switched my PC on this morning and logged in, rainmeter displayed the 2 gpu skins and then appeared to get stuck, switching them off and on again repeatedly. I thought it was maybe because whinfo hadn't started, and I checked that, found I hadn't switched on auto start, fixed that, killed rainmeter, started hwinfo, but that didn't fix the problem :(

not sure what I should do next (for the moment i've moved the gpu gadget folder out somewhere else so rainmeter starts up fine)

Hils
*hugs* - Hil
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Hilary Querrien wrote: October 31st, 2022, 7:13 am Hi. I thought i'd try using the gpu gadget to get a display of my graphics card process because the fan was making noises. So yesterday I had it all set up nicely (except for displaying 2 meters where I only wanted one because I have an inbuilt AMD one and an nvdia card which is the one I want to know about). Anyway, when I switched my PC on this morning and logged in, rainmeter displayed the 2 gpu skins and then appeared to get stuck, switching them off and on again repeatedly. I thought it was maybe because whinfo hadn't started, and I checked that, found I hadn't switched on auto start, fixed that, killed rainmeter, started hwinfo, but that didn't fix the problem :(

not sure what I should do next (for the moment i've moved the gpu gadget folder out somewhere else so rainmeter starts up fine)

Hils
Wow, I've never heard of anything like this before. Let me rewind a bit and ask, do you have skins for both your AMD and nVidia cards active at the same time? You mentioned that you don't really care about the inbuilt one, so if that is the case, you don't need to show it.

In fact, I think this might be the source of the problem. I suspect you uncovered a bug, and what is happening is that both skins are "fighting" each other because they are different. One skin is trying to reconfigure itself, and the other skin is seeing something change and changing it back, and getting into a loop.

Do the following steps to deactivate the GPU Meter that corresponds to your AMD card (I will assume this is GPU #0). This is also how you can deactivate any misbehaving skin, not just this one.
  1. Exit Rainmeter.
  2. Navigate to C:\Users\<your_user_name_>\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter and open Rainmeter.ini with a text editor, such as Notepad.
  3. Search for the text [Gadgets\GPU Meter\GPU #0]. This is called a "section". Under this, find the line Active=1 and change it to Active=0.
  4. Next, search for [Gadgets\GPU Meter\GPU #1] and repeat the above.
  5. Save the file and restart Rainmeter.
The next thing to do is fix the skin so this won't happen again. (If you want to keep the AMD GPU Meter configuration, then don't do the following, and let me know.)
  1. Navigate to the Gadgets folder and put the GPU Meter folder back in place.
  2. In the Gadget\@Resources folder, open the HWiNFO.inc file with your text editor. Change all your GPU #0 settings (i.e., the AMD card) to match GPU #1 (nVidia card); in other words, both GPU #0 and GPU #1 will have all the same settings and both will reference your nVidia card.
  3. Right click any Gadget and from the Gadgets menu, select the GPU Meter to show it. It should work properly this time. (Don't forget to start HWiNFO if it is not already started.)
Let me know if you run into any issues. I'll fix this logic glitch in the next release.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
Hilary Querrien

Thank you so much.

The first step (changing active to 0) fixed my problem right away - though rainmeter seems to think I have 3 GPUs (0, 1, 2), and I set up GPU2 with my nvidia settings and left 0 and 1 alone. That might be because I can't count or I got confused reading the instructions (because it's my 2nd graphics thing you see). Zero was the default active one which I thought was special and I should leave alone.

Me and computers don't always mix very well I'm afraid.

Hils

PS The AMD GPU is switched off I think - I'm certainly not using it or worried about it.
*hugs* - Hil
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Hilary Querrien wrote: October 31st, 2022, 2:58 pm Thank you so much.

The first step (changing active to 0) fixed my problem right away - though rainmeter seems to think I have 3 GPUs (0, 1, 2), and I set up GPU2 with my nvidia settings and left 0 and 1 alone. That might be because I can't count or I got confused reading the instructions (because it's my 2nd graphics thing you see). Zero was the default active one which I thought was special and I should leave alone.

Me and computers don't always mix very well I'm afraid.

Hils

PS The AMD GPU is switched off I think - I'm certainly not using it or worried about it.
Glad you got it all working! The 3 GPU Meter skins are provided for you just in case you have that many. If you load the GPU 0 skin, it may crash Rainmeter or cause the flashing that you noticed. If you want to make sure you don't accidently load it, you can delete the "GPU Meter.ini" skin that is in the main GPU Meter folder (not the ones in the subfolders). This top one just redirects you to the #0 skin, so it is there only for convenience since it doesn't really do anything.

I'll fix all this in the next release. Sorry about that.
Hilary Querrien

No need to be sorry. I think the gadgets are wonderful - and I do have this unfortunate tendency to break computers when I get near them!
*hugs* - Hil
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Gadgets 7.5.0 - inspired by AddGadgets.com Sidebar Gadgets

Post by SilverAzide »

An update to the Gadgets has been released!

7.5.0 - 2022-11-04
  • Corrected Weather Meter issue (again) that prevented automatic region detection from working and could cause the gadget to fail.
  • Corrected All CPU Meter display issue on systems where the Show Usage Per Logical Core option was unchecked and the CPU had more than 16 cores.
  • Enhanced All CPU Meter to add option to show from 1 to 5 top processes by CPU usage.
  • Enhanced All CPU Meter to allow showing/hiding the fan graph.
  • Enhanced All CPU Meter to allow showing/hiding RAM and Page File statistics and/or usage.
  • Enhanced GPU Meter to allow showing/hiding VRAM statistics and/or usage.
  • Corrected GPU Meter regression that could crash Rainmeter when using multiple GPU Meter skins with different configurations.
  • Corrected Network Meter gadgets calculation for peak throughput.
  • Enhanced Network Meter gadgets to add option to show ping times and link to a speed test website (optional).
  • Enhanced Network Meter gadgets to add visible indicator when IP addresses are hidden.
Requires Rainmeter 4.5.16 or later.

Upgrade Notes
If upgrading an existing Gadgets installation:
  • All CPU Meter: Due to internal changes, you may need to reselect your preferences for displaying RAM and page file stats.
  • Network Meter or Wireless Meter: You will need to reset the "Ping Color" value (currently unused gray color) to its new yellow-orange color. Middle-mouse click the color to reset it.
  • Network Meter Pro and Wireless Meter Pro: The NetMonitor service has not been updated in this release. Upgrading the service is optional. To upgrade, use the Network Settings to stop the service, uninstall it, and then reinstall.
  • If using any patches, such as the Gadgets Modernizer, the patches will need to be reinstalled.
emp00

Post by emp00 »

I have an improvement suggestion for the Network meter: The "blue ball" in the top right corner in only a cosmetic gimmick, right?

Check out the CPU & Drives gadgets in my screenshot: They display a nice+helpful "Total usage %" value in the top right corner. Why not doing the same for the Network meter? You are already calculating the "Peak" (inbound) and this could be used for calculating the % with the current inbound rate. Done. :-)

Additional thoughts: I think situations with 100% outbound traffic are sometimes even more common e.g. during videoconferencing or large file uploads, so I'd suggest also calculating the Peak outbound and the % outbound usage. In the Top right corner you could then display the higher value of the both (inbound% and outbound%) -> so the user can always see at one glance if there's high in- or outbound traffic close to the peak limits. It's then easy to see if it's caused by in- or outbound in the graph and figures below. This would be the ideal solution in my world.

Here's a screenshot with my latest Modernizer/emp00 modifications -> the red circle is the place for the in/outbound% traffic value improvement suggestion described above. What do you think?

In this respect I have just had a closer look at the Drives gadget: I noticed the usage% figure in the top right corner is obviously the average usage of all drives in display. Does this make sense? I'd prefer the max of all individual values. This is because at least in my case I have 5 drives and of course never, ever all drives are used at once. So I will never, ever see a value >20%.. quite sure :-) See below a situation copying from one drive to another, giving a low total 16% in my case despite one drive being fully utilized... I'd prefer seeing the 98% in the top right corner. Interestingly, here you are also already displaying the higher value of read and write traffic per drive since in this situation drive H: is reading (11%) and G: is writing (98%). So the logic I'm describing above for the Network meter is already there... Any thoughts? Bad idea?

SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Thanks for the feedback!
emp00 wrote: November 6th, 2022, 12:48 pm I have an improvement suggestion for the Network meter: The "blue ball" in the top right corner in only a cosmetic gimmick, right?
Actually, it's not; it shows a globe if you are connected to the internet (WAN), a red "x" if you are not.
emp00 wrote: November 6th, 2022, 12:48 pm Check out the CPU & Drives gadgets in my screenshot: They display a nice+helpful "Total usage %" value in the top right corner. Why not doing the same for the Network meter? You are already calculating the "Peak" (inbound) and this could be used for calculating the % with the current inbound rate. Done. :-)
Yes, this is possible. The peak is actually inbound and outbound, but yes, this percentage could be calculated. There is not much room to display the value though, even with the connectivity icon removed. (There's extra space in yours because you shortened the title.)
emp00 wrote: November 6th, 2022, 12:48 pm In this respect I have just had a closer look at the Drives gadget: I noticed the usage% figure in the top right corner is obviously the average usage of all drives in display. Does this make sense? I'd prefer the max of all individual values. This is because at least in my case I have 5 drives and of course never, ever all drives are used at once. So I will never, ever see a value >20%.. quite sure :-) See below a situation copying from one drive to another, giving a low total 16% in my case despite one drive being fully utilized... I'd prefer seeing the 98% in the top right corner. Interestingly, here you are also already displaying the higher value of read and write traffic per drive since in this situation drive H: is reading (11%) and G: is writing (98%). So the logic I'm describing above for the Network meter is already there... Any thoughts? Bad idea?
Yes, this is something that's been bugging me for a while, as I have a large number of drives so the percentage is rarely above a few percent, even when one drive is maxed out. But this is consistent with the logic (i.e., same as the CPU Meter), and also matches the behavior of the original addgadgets.com Windows Sidebar gadget. Possibly it could be added as an option (total usage vs. max usage), it's a pretty simple tweak.