It is currently April 19th, 2024, 5:52 am

DEV : Plugins & 3rd party DLL's ..

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
Hansz

DEV : Plugins & 3rd party DLL's ..

Post by Hansz »

A (probably kinda nooby) question that I can't find an answer to by searching the documentation and/or the forum.

I'm in the process of creating a plugin that will allow me to keep an eye on the Teamspeak 3 server that I have set up for my kids and their friends. I'm not doing it by LUA'ing into the TS client, but by directly connecting to the Server in question. To that end I'm using the TS3QueryLib library which seems to do the trick nicely.

When debugging/unit-testing the used classes (In visual Studio) I'm getting all the information as expected and all is fine. However, when I'm deploying the Plugin DLL, it is dependant on the TS3QueryLib.Core.Framework.dll and herein lies my question.

Unless I put that file into the root of my RainMeter installation folder (aka in the same folder as Rainmeter.exe) it won't work.

Now ...

Questions I have :

1. Is there someting I'm missing here ?
2. What's the 'best practice' to provide for a 3rd party DLL ? (where does it go ?)
3. How do I package this using an .rmskin file and make sure it is installed in the proper folder/location ?

Thnx again for your time and Answers ..

Regards

Hansz.
.raptor

Re: DEV : Plugins & 3rd party DLL's ..

Post by .raptor »

The preferable option is to not pack with an external dll at all, but merge it into the plugin you are writing. Now i have no idea whats going on behind the scenes here, but i found a quick solution i used in my plugin.

Open the NuGet console and write

Code: Select all

Install-Package Costura.Fody
And for me that was pretty much it. No longer needed to deploy it with the 3rd party dll. Just remember that the 3rd party dll will be in the build folder anyway as I assume this is a post build script. :thumbup:

EDIT: adding this link https://github.com/Fody/Costura#how-it-works
dgrace
Developer

Post by dgrace »

That's a really good question - I'd like to know too.

dave
Hansz

Post by Hansz »

Ok .. thnx for the answers ... I'll look into NuGet and see what that can do for me :) ... will report back with the result (might take a while, I'm just working on this on and off, time and motivation permitting).