It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:09 pm

Favorites

Changes made during the Rainmeter 3.2 beta cycle.
jsmorley
Developer

Favorites

Post by jsmorley »

We have added new Favorites functionality to Rainmeter.

This will allow you to define a skin as "Favorite", and it will appear on a list of "Favorites" in the Rainmeter context menu.

A skin can be set or unset as a "Favorite" in either the skin context menu:
1.png
Or the Manage / Skins dialog:
3.png
You can load or unload a "Favorite" skin from the Rainmeter context menu.
2.png
If you have a large collection of skins in Rainmeter, this can be really helpful for quickly finding and loading skins you often use, without having to use the entire Skins context menu list.

For some like me, the Skins context menu list is just unworkable... ;-)
4.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Favorites

Post by jsmorley »

A few technical notes:

The Favorites are stored in the %APPDATA%\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.data file.

The Favorites will be added to this file in the order you "set" them, but will display in the Favorites list in alphabetical order by config name.

If you manually edit Rainmeter.data to add, change or remove Favorites, you will have to restart Rainmeter for it to see the changes. Changes you make though the context menu or Manage automatically rebuild the list.

There are not, and will not be, any "bangs" to support adding, removing or accessing skins in the Favorites list, nor any connection to a Layout. This is functionality that we strong feel should entirely be controlled by the end-user, not the authors of skins.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Nice addition! :cheer:
This (and the other changes) make the context menu much easier to use. :yahoo:

Thanks RM Team!
exper1mental

Post by exper1mental »

Love the idea! This will make it SO much easier when I'm messing around and accidentally misclick, disabling a skin. With this I'll just go to favorites and enable it again instead of digging through the hundreds of skins I have on my PC. :thumbup:
Bekarfel

Post by Bekarfel »

jsmorley wrote:There are not, and will not be, any "bangs" to support adding, removing or accessing skins in the Favorites list, nor any connection to a Layout. This is functionality that we strong feel should entirely be controlled by the end-user, not the authors of skins.
I whole heartedly agree!
moshi wrote:there are many Rainmeter skins that aren't really useful, so let's add another one.
jsmorley wrote:I have good news and bad news.
First the bad news. [...] We would be happy to have this happen and would love to work with anyone who is feeling ambitious.
Now the good news.
I lied, there isn't any good news...