It is currently September 29th, 2024, 11:23 am

Manipulating Rainmeter configs via Webparser

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Floofies

Manipulating Rainmeter configs via Webparser

Post by Floofies »

I'd like to bounce an idea off some peeps here!

I've been trying to find new concept ideas to incorporate into rainmeter skins, and I came up with an interesting one. What if you could use webparser, in combination with the !WriteKeyValue bang (among other bangs) and a backend web server, to update core skin files by the author? There's lots of ways this could be done, and probably some security concerns. As far as I know, webparser does use HTTPS and accepts SSL (I don't really know for sure), so having that working on the backend server would be ideal. One big security concern is if the domain/hosting gets into someone else's hands, and malicious code is injected. Having a safeguard against that happening is very important.

Two uses come to mind immediately:
1. Skin Versioning. A way for skin authors to alert their config of a new version. (IE: A new X update is available!)
2. Skin Updating. Actually parsing, and swapping out data from remote config file into it's own config file. In essence, updating the skin itself.

Let's say we tell webparser to check a backend web server every X hours and parse the data. The first thing we want to parse would be an extremely simple update bit/string, or update signal. An update bit is an easy way to lower the resource cost of webparser, so you aren't parsing an entire update/webpage every time you want to check for updates. After webparser downloads the data, we can process the update bit and logically direct the next action (IE: parsing more data, or stopping completely to check again later). If the update bit matches what the skin has most recently stored, then it will stop and try again later. If the update bit differs from what the skin has most recently stored, then webparser can look to a bigger file on the backend server and parse it, which could be anything.

I'm already going to start testing this on my own personal hosting, but I was wondering what other people thought about the idea.
Floofies

Re: Manipulating Rainmeter configs via Webparser

Post by Floofies »

I don't mean to bump rudely, but does anyone know about this? Has it been done?