It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 10:21 pm

Native Linux Support

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
s710

Re: Native Linux Support

Post by s710 »

airtonix wrote: Using QT means that Gnome desktop environment users won't be able to use it without installing a mountain of KDE libraries.
Wrong. No KDE libs needed.
Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

airtonix wrote: Using QT means that Gnome desktop environment users won't be able to use it without installing a mountain of KDE libraries.
That would be a big surprise for me as I am at this very moment is sitting with my Ubuntutop (Ubuntu laptop). I am ofc using GNOME. I have not installed KDE or wmii or anything like that. And I got, natively, "Qt4 settings".

So I would be very surprised if I would have to install "a mountain of KDE libraries".
I am using 8.10 btw.
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
Rainy
Developer

Post by Rainy »

If Rainmeter was ported to other platforms Qt would definitely be my choice as the framework. I've been using Qt several years now in other projects and it's the best multiplatform toolkit I've had pleasure to use (I wish they had released it under LGPL before I started working with Rainlendar2). The idea of using Python (or some other higher level language) as the backend is interesting. It at least would make certain things easier to implement.
Caledfwlch

Post by Caledfwlch »

I'm no programmer, but, in hearing nothing but positives about it from people who are, Qt seems to be a reasonable response to a Linux solution. I also know a programmer or two of Python that equate it to heavenly bliss. Either way, the fact you guys are discussing this in a fairly serious, idealistic sort of way has my hopes operational. ;) Put me on the reserves, because, using Linux, I'll gladly test anything that comes down the pike.

In other news - wow, Rainy responded to a Rainmeter on Linux thread. :) I'm impressed. ;)
pseudocube

Post by pseudocube »

Hi guys. Just one more Ubuntu user that would be very excited to see Rainmeter for Linux come out.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

:welcome: pseudocube
Glad you stopped by :thumbsu:
pseudocube wrote:Hi guys. Just one more Ubuntu user that would be very excited to see Rainmeter for Linux come out.
All we need is an individual, or dedicated team, to program the thing.
I have even agreed to ensure that the project could be run out of Google Code, and can be supported her eat he forums.

All we need is at least one brave soul :love:
unshift

Post by unshift »

I have the source code pulled and have 0 experience with Qt, but a great desire to learn and understanding of UI development.

Really, rainmeter needs something with the ability to read in the config files and output something familiar. Re-using as much of the code as possible will be nice, but not always possible. I think the goal should be to use the same plugins (within reason) across multiple platforms, not necessarily a direct port. We'll see.

Anyway. This will be my hobby for a while. Some notes:
  • I guarantee in no way that this will come to anything useful. It's mostly an experiment.
  • I work more-than-full-time hours. Too much work. But I love what I do. This will be a nice plaything.
  • I won't be "support" for this or have an official place where I post builds until I feel like it's worth it and there's actually results.
Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

unshift wrote:I have the source code pulled and have 0 experience with Qt, but a great desire to learn and understanding of UI development.

Really, rainmeter needs something with the ability to read in the config files and output something familiar. Re-using as much of the code as possible will be nice, but not always possible. I think the goal should be to use the same plugins (within reason) across multiple platforms, not necessarily a direct port. We'll see.

Anyway. This will be my hobby for a while. Some notes:
  • I guarantee in no way that this will come to anything useful. It's mostly an experiment.
  • I work more-than-full-time hours. Too much work. But I love what I do. This will be a nice plaything.
  • I won't be "support" for this or have an official place where I post builds until I feel like it's worth it and there's actually results.
\o/
Nice to see someone taking the initiative to do anything at all with it.
It will be nice to see if you come anywhere with it. I'm no coder, but if and when you post anything I will be happy to bug-test it.
Good luck! :)
I don't think, therefore I'm not.