It is currently September 29th, 2024, 1:28 pm

How is my gmail login used?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Thraxan

How is my gmail login used?

Post by Thraxan »

As you can understand I am incredibly wary of inputting my gmail info into a text file.
Is it safe? Where does that info get sent? Who can read it (outside my pc) and so on. Could someone use this to steal info?
jsmorley
Developer

Re: How is my gmail login used?

Post by jsmorley »

It is sent to gmail as part of the URL when WebParser (using a stub of Internet Explorer functionality) connects via HTTPS to the gmail servers.

I would not try to say that a gmail skin in Rainmeter is particularly secure.

1) The mail id and password is stored in a text file on your computer. If someone has physical access to your computer, and enough time to poke around in things, they could well find it.

2) If your system is compromised by some malware or virus that "sniffs" your network traffic, it is possible that it could get the URL you send. However, gmail uses the HTTPS (encrypted traffic) protocol, traffic (including URL's) sent and received by your PC is encrypted, so that exposure is probably pretty limited. SSL / HTTPS is a pretty standard way to keep what your are doing strictly between you system and the final destination.

All in all, if your PC is physically secured, and you stay current with some antivirus / antimalware system, I think you are reasonably safe.
Thraxan

Re: How is my gmail login used?

Post by Thraxan »

jsmorley wrote:It is sent to gmail as part of the URL when WebParser (using a stub of Internet Explorer functionality) connects via HTTPS to the gmail servers.

I would not try to say that a gmail skin in Rainmeter is particularly secure.

1) The mail id and password is stored in a text file on your computer. If someone has physical access to your computer, and enough time to poke around in things, they could well find it.

2) If your system is compromised by some malware or virus that "sniffs" your network traffic, it is possible that it could get the URL you send. However, gmail uses the HTTPS (encrypted traffic) protocol, traffic (including URL's) sent and received by your PC is encrypted, so that exposure is probably pretty limited. SSL / HTTPS is a pretty standard way to keep what your are doing strictly between you system and the final destination.

All in all, if your PC is physically secured, and you stay current with some antivirus / antimalware system, I think you are reasonably safe.
Awesome thank you for the help :)