It is currently April 19th, 2024, 1:49 pm

logical error in Tips & Tricks

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
moshi

logical error in Tips & Tricks

Post by moshi »

the "WebParser: Weather Skin Translations" trick here:
http://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/webparser-weather-skin-translations
has an error. it tells you to do:

Code: Select all

Substitute="Cloudy":"Bewölkt","Partly Cloudy":"Teilweise Bewölkt"
this can never work. because the "Cloudy" part of "Partly Cloudy" will be substituted before you substitute the complete string. you will get "Partly Bewölkt".

it would make more sense to substitute the longer strings before the shorter ones:

Substitute="Partly Cloudy":"Teilweise Bewölkt","Cloudy":"Bewölkt"

that still has flaws. better:

RegExpSubstitute=1
Substitute="^Cloudy$":"Bewölkt","^Partly Cloudy$":"Teilweise Bewölkt"

best though to use the numbers:

RegExpSubstitute=1
Substitute="^26$":"Bewölkt","^30$":"Teilweise Bewölkt"
moshi

Re: logical error in Tips & Tricks

Post by moshi »

moshi wrote:best though to use the numbers:

Select all
RegExpSubstitute=1
Substitute="^26$":"Bewölkt","^30$":"Teilweise Bewölkt"
because right now my Yahoo! Weather skin displays: "Showers in the Vicinity" :)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I'm not sure I follow...

In the version I get in my browser, it has:

Substitute="(?i)^Cloudy$":"Bewölkt","^Partly Cloudy$":"Teilweise Bewölkt"

Which since it is using the ^ and $ characters to indicate the start and end of the string, should deal with any issues of "order".
1.png
What am I missing here?

P.S. The numbers probably are the better way to go, but in that tutorial I really wanted to focus more on Substitute in the pure "translation" sense, and not have that get lost in what is in effect a "lookup" rather than a "translation".

You are exactly right though. Yahoo Weather doesn't really have an entirely consistent description for any given weather code, and in a sense creating your own, with a single description tied to the code number, is more reliable. I might need to re-think this. I'm hesitant to suggest losing the subtleties of their descriptions by having "11" just always be "Showers", but I'm not sure you can reliably translate it any other way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moshi

Post by moshi »

jsmorley wrote:I'm not sure I follow...

In the version I get in my browser, it has:

Substitute="(?i)^Cloudy$":"Bewölkt","^Partly Cloudy$":"Teilweise Bewölkt"

Which since it is using the ^ and $ characters to indicate the start and end of the string, should deal with any issues of "order".

What am I missing here?
i am pretty sure it has been changed since the time i made the first post (August 2014).

jsmorley wrote:You are exactly right though. Yahoo Weather doesn't really have an entirely consistent description for any given weather code, and in a sense creating your own, with a single description tied to the code number, is more reliable. I might need to re-think this. I'm hesitant to suggest losing the subtleties of their descriptions by having "11" just always be "Showers", but I'm not sure you can reliably translate it any other way.
can't use a translation api, because without context a "shower" is this:
euphoria-system-shower-system-with-diverter-for-wall-mounting.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

moshi wrote: i am pretty sure it has been changed since the time i made the first post (August 2014).
Ah, my bad, I didn't look at the dates of the posts, and assumed they were all just now. Never mind. I did fix that quite a while ago, probably based on your original post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

moshi wrote: can't use a translation api, because without context a "shower" is this:
Probably need to set up some kind of "learning" system, where it somehow flags "phrases" it doesn't already know, so you can go in and translate them manually. Then over time, you could probably get close. I suspect that Yahoo has some "finite" number of ways to express the conditions, even if is a large number. Surely every 10 minutes it isn't some human saying "let's call this 'hot and sticky' this time".
moshi

Post by moshi »

- a local file with known expressions (separated by commas or whatever)
- a skin that parses a few locations (probably best if one after another), preferably locations with extreme weather conditions
- FinishAction launches a dynamic webparser measure that parses the local file for the current expression
- IfNotMatchAction append current expression to local file
after a longer period of time there should be a nice list.

but there has to be a better way.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

moshi wrote:- a local file with known expressions (separated by commas or whatever)
- a skin that parses a few locations (probably best if one after another), preferably locations with extreme weather conditions
- FinishAction launches a dynamic webparser measure that parses the local file for the current expression
- IfNotMatchAction append current expression to local file
after a longer period of time there should be a nice list.

but there has to be a better way.
The better way is probably for Yahoo to allow a "langID" parm on the feed URL, and get with the fact that the internet isn't just about English speakers.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Although another approach is to "roll your own". By that I mean ignore the description from Yahoo. Create your own based on a weighted combination of the "season / weather code / temperature / humidity / dew point / wind / gusts", where you could drive a description where a relative "importance" could be given to these factors, and "weight" that with how far out of some defined "norm" any of the values are.

So you could end up with "Hot and sticky" or "Windy and clear" or even "Chilly, breezy and party cloudy". If you did it right, there might be a subtle but real difference between "Windy and clear" and "Clear and windy".

Almost certainly require Lua, and there are factors like "partly" that might be hard to determine, but feels like there should be some formulaic way to get to a description that is as good, maybe better, than you get as raw text in the feed.

Be a fair to middling big project... ;-)
moshi

Post by moshi »

you'll end up using the description from Yahoo again. there's no precipitation data elsewhere in the feed.