It is currently April 24th, 2024, 1:32 am

Poll: Rainmeter Resource Usage

General topics related to Rainmeter.

How much RAM (in megabytes) and CPU does Rainmeter use for you?

RAM: 0-15
28%
RAM: 15-25
12%
RAM: 25-35
6%
RAM: 35-45
3%
RAM: 45+
1%
CPU: 0-5%
39%
CPU: 5-10%
5%
CPU: 10-20%
4%
CPU: 20-30%
1%
CPU: 30%+
2%

Total votes: 108
DAC1

Re: Poll: Rainmeter Resource Usage

Post by DAC1 »

CPU runs 3-5
Memory 15000-18000K with full theme running

Core 2 Duo 2.0 T7200
4GB (3GB-Vista 32bit)

Not much of a memory hog at all...
P2C

Post by P2C »

Hmm ... so many Core2 powered PCs here?
Got an Hyperthreading Pentium with 3.2 Ghz (only one Core of course).
My RAM is 1GB, which is a bit too small for many things, especially with 20+ Firefox Tabs, Gimp and iTunes :roll:
Cpu about 2%; RAM about 21mb.
Starting Rainmeter doesn´t effect my PCs speed (or at least I´m not noticing anything) ... so I´m happy.
maranello

Post by maranello »

Ram: about 15 mb, Cpu: 0.5 max

excellent values for almost 10 meters ;)
KreAch3R

Post by KreAch3R »

My Rainmeter is using ~23MB of memory, with 9 skins running (including weather, gmail, clock, filelistplugin, wmp controller & more). I think I have set my Update rates correctly. My Rainmeter was fresh - reinstalled (complete wipe before that). Is it normal? It there anything that I could do, to minimize my rainmeter footprint?

There isn't any visual problem (4gb ram and Core i5) but I would like to know if I could do something to lower the usage. Most of my skins are coded by me, so can there be faults that affect ram (other than updaterates)?

Please post back or send a PM. Thanks :D
Inactive, due to life changes. Send me a PM for any question.

Desktop DeviartArt
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

23meg with a bunch of skins loaded is not out of the ordinary.
SaticICE

Post by SaticICE »

Mine is using about 45Mb, but I am using a lot of Aero Blur.

I have 8Gb ram - so dont mis the 45Mb! (Im also on a Intel Core i7 Quad Core with Hyper threading)
My current Skin/Theme in Development (Monitor That Computer)
KreAch3R

Post by KreAch3R »

jsmorley wrote:23meg with a bunch of skins loaded is not out of the ordinary.
Thank you! :D That is what I wanted to here. I am just now feeling that I 've got some sort of hold on the coding, and I didn't want to start off on the wrong base (ram usage speaking).
I also want to be another one to thank you for your countless advices, spread in these threads, and your useful programs. :bow:

Desktop DeviartArt
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

KreAch3R wrote: Thank you! :D That is what I wanted to here. I am just now feeling that I 've got some sort of hold on the coding, and I didn't want to start off on the wrong base (ram usage speaking).
I also want to be another one to thank you for your countless advices, spread in these threads, and your useful programs. :bow:
Rainmeter seems to more or less about 7meg with no skins loaded. That is chump change. From there it does depend on the number of skins and how "big" each of them is. Big seems to be a function of how many meters are in each, how many large images are loaded into memory, etc. I run 16 skins on my system, most of which are in my signature. I also run a few on a second monitor, mostly some RSS feeds for the forums and our google code site and a uTorrent skin.

I like a lot of small skins, each doing some distinct function, so I can load / unload them as I wish, and they are easier to edit when I want to tweak them. I suspect I could save a few meg by combining some and running fewer "skins" with more in each. However 23meg for 16 skins seems a reasonable cost to me. Ram and hard drive space are not really an issue these days.

I am far more careful about how much CPU is used, and do try to make an effort to fine tine "Update/UpdateRate/UpdateDivider" so my skins use as much CPU as needed to function as I want without using more cycles than required. My CPU usage for Rainmeter runs about 3-5 percent, which I am pretty happy with.
KreAch3R

Post by KreAch3R »

jsmorley wrote:Rainmeter seems to more or less about 7meg with no skins loaded. That is chump change. From there it does depend on the number of skins and how "big" each of them is. Big seems to be a function of how many meters are in each, how many large images are loaded into memory, etc. I run 16 skins on my system, most of which are in my signature. I also run a few on a second monitor, mostly some RSS feeds for the forums and our google code site and a uTorrent skin.

I like a lot of small skins, each doing some distinct function, so I can load / unload them as I wish, and they are easier to edit when I want to tweak them. I suspect I could save a few meg by combining some and running fewer "skins" with more in each. However 23meg for 16 skins seems a reasonable cost to me. Ram and hard drive space are not really an issue these days.

I am far more careful about how much CPU is used, and do try to make an effort to fine tine "Update/UpdateRate/UpdateDivider" so my skins use as much CPU as needed to function as I want without using more cycles than required. My CPU usage for Rainmeter runs about 3-5 percent, which I am pretty happy with.
I am of the same principle. I make my skins as small as possible, so that they can be combined at will. I tried to tune update rates as best as I could. My CPU usage is 0~1 %, as far as Task Manager is concerned.:D

Desktop DeviartArt
taxstin

Post by taxstin »

I have an intel core i5 430 4 GB RAM. My rainmeter setup uses between 15-20k, usually moves around within that area.

I have two skins running though that might use up slightly more RAM, they act as a sort of slideshow and show different pictures every 10 seconds.