It is currently April 19th, 2024, 9:32 pm

Poll: Rainmeter Resource Usage

General topics related to Rainmeter.

How much RAM (in megabytes) and CPU does Rainmeter use for you?

RAM: 0-15
28%
RAM: 15-25
12%
RAM: 25-35
6%
RAM: 35-45
3%
RAM: 45+
1%
CPU: 0-5%
39%
CPU: 5-10%
5%
CPU: 10-20%
4%
CPU: 20-30%
1%
CPU: 30%+
2%

Total votes: 108
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Poll: Rainmeter Resource Usage

Post by Alex2539 »

My default setup is pretty low-key. It runs at 9,788KB (About 9.56MB) and after watching it for a bit, I only ever see it go up to 2% CPU usage. My processor is a Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz and I've got 2GB of RAM. Also, this is on my Gaming PC and it should be noted that there is absolutely no impact whatsoever on any of the games I play.
Also, even though a typical setup uses very few resources, Rainmeter can really be pushed to use more than it's fair share. I've got my experimental Cube running on my laptop that's taking up a good 60-70% of an older 2.00GHz Core DUO CPU (not Core2, just Core) on average.
ImageImageImageImage
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Alex2539 wrote:My default setup is pretty low-key. It runs at 9,788KB (About 9.56MB) and after watching it for a bit, I only ever see it go up to 2% CPU usage. My processor is a Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00GHz and I've got 2GB of RAM. Also, this is on my Gaming PC and it should be noted that there is absolutely no impact whatsoever on any of the games I play.
Also, even though a typical setup uses very few resources, Rainmeter can really be pushed to use more than it's fair share. I've got my experimental Cube running on my laptop that's taking up a good 60-70% of an older 2.00GHz Core DUO CPU (not Core2, just Core) on average.
I ran your cube, but time started to run backwards and my cat was sucked in through the floppy drive.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

Usage is about 0%-2% for me on my Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.3GHz. RAM usage is around 15-25MB with some random Vista Rainbar skins (which use a lot of images), but I have 4 gigs of RAM, so doesn't really matter even if the usage was 1GB (as long as it doesn't consume too much CPU cycles).
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

legace wrote:Usage is about 0%-2% for me on my Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.3GHz. RAM usage is around 15-25MB with some random Vista Rainbar skins (which use a lot of images), but I have 4 gigs of RAM, so doesn't really matter even if the usage was 1GB (as long as it doesn't consume too much CPU cycles).
Agreed. RAM is irrelevant mostly. I never even get close to using 1/2 of my RAM not matter what I am running. CPU is the thing to watch out for.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Now the numbers I submitted are for this little craptop, with a crappy CPU.
So My resources are high (Cpu load between 1.7% to 9.3%), but Ramis supper low, even with the graphics load at less than 5%

Now on the Duad Core (AMD 945 with 12 Gigs 1066 Ram) .....Rainmeter uses less than 2% at 7M Ram

and on my DeskMonster (AMD 965 with 16 Gigs DDR3) Hmm....let me look....Rainmeter??? Hello....Almost no resources at all....
Dabheid

Post by Dabheid »

I'm currently averaging 16.7K with 20 configs running and CPU is between 3-4% when i run Winamp as well
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

sgtevmckay wrote: and on my DeskMonster (AMD 965 with 16 Gigs DDR3) Hmm....let me look....Rainmeter??? Hello....Almost no resources at all....
16 gigs? What do you do with your PC?
maminscris

Post by maminscris »

legace wrote: 16 gigs? What do you do with your PC?
moving nasa satellites around earth!?

16 gigs :shock:
Zero at programing, zero at writing codes, so far 2 at making images
But I'm good at copy/paste, and I not always like this
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

maminscris wrote: moving nasa satellites around earth!?

16 gigs :shock:
Currently I enjoy the privilege of running 21 inch (50,000 to 1) LG's x3
a 39 inch flat screen for entertainment

But the big use comes from running numerous applications.
When I get in a mood I may have Ps3, AI3, Bridge, a video, Music, Build web pages, browser w/multiple tabs and monitor up to 18 programs from the systems tray.

This is my complete home entertainment system.
Radio (Web, AM, FM, Digital Radio)
Video (Digital signal reception)
Web (self explanatory)
Work ( you name it)
Mutli-AV security recorder with (CCTV)
And is a grand system to show off for folks that are looking for what can be done with a single system

the biggest system loads I experience is when I convert and encode Audio and Video
this can really use all the ram I can through at it, and ask for more.

this is at any given time...also this system doubles as my Home NAS.
Thanks to Morley-Sempai...I have followed his advice and created a portion as an Apache Server, but my Up stream is around 832K, so not very good for any type of substantial load.

The main system came in well under $1700 and with the monitors and some top line logitech speakers on sale it all came to a little under $2500

The 39 inch flat screen and multi-room speakers were already in place

Building custom systems is one of teh things I do :twisted:
maminscris

Post by maminscris »

:shock: WOW........WOW.......speechless WOW :shock:
Zero at programing, zero at writing codes, so far 2 at making images
But I'm good at copy/paste, and I not always like this