It is currently September 29th, 2024, 1:31 pm

Looking for .exe dock/launcher skin

General topics related to Rainmeter.
PandaCan

Looking for .exe dock/launcher skin

Post by PandaCan »

TL;DR - Skip to second paragraph
Hey guys I've been working a lot lately on customizing my desktop. So far its looking really good (I just recently got into this type of thing so I'm still learning some of the scripting and such). Currently to launch applications other than games I pin the ones I use regularly to my taskbar and the ones I don't use so often I will just hit win key and search for it (windows 8.1.2). To launch games I use object dock but it is giving me a few problems. What I like about it is I can pin a game to it and then change the game's icon, also that it hides them. What I don't like is no matter where I put it on my desktop it gets in the way of a normal function and I end up launching games by accident. For example if on the bottom it makes it harder to change applications using the taskbar (no I don't want to replace the taskbar with object dock). On the top it makes it hard to change tabs in chrome, on the left it makes it hard to hit the back button when using touchpad in chrome, and on the right it makes it hard to do other tasks (I don't remember this specific problem off the top of my head).

-What I'm looking for is a skin or even something outside rainmeter that has a movable button that when clicked will display my .exes I set to it. What I'm thinking is press the button and they spiral out or just come our in a ring or something that looks nice. Does anyone know of something like this? I guess I could make my own but it would take me a while since I have very minimal coding background...

I'll attach my desktop pics right now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FlyingHyrax

Re: Looking for .exe dock/launcher skin

Post by FlyingHyrax »

I'd start here for premade Rainmeter launchers: http://rainmeter.deviantart.com/gallery/45670849/Docks-and-Launchers. If you don't see anything that fits your taste, you can try modifying one... and simple launchers are actually some of the easiest skins to make if you don't mind hardwriting in the .exe and icon paths yourself. It only gets complicated if you want something automated or flashy.

For non-Rainmeter app launcher options, this HTG article seems pretty comprehensive: http://www.howtogeek.com/116163/the-best-application-launchers-and-docks-for-organizing-your-desktop/. StandaloneStack is also a nice option, though it's a lot more functional than aesthetic.
Flying Hyrax on DeviantArt