It is currently April 26th, 2024, 10:48 pm

Sophos detects virus in Rainmeter 1.1

General topics related to Rainmeter.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Sophos detects virus in Rainmeter 1.1

Post by jsmorley »

Avast 4.x, no issue.

There are a few good and a LOT of bad antivirus packages out there. I'm not particularly interested in worrying about the bad ones.
Rainy
Developer

Post by Rainy »

The source for the false positive probably is the UPX compressor which is used by the AutoIt. I was using UPX also previously in Rainlendar but had to stop because basically every release was reported to contain a virus by some random antivirus tool.

The Jotti's malware scan is a good place to verify if the file really has a virus or not. Here are couple of screenshots of the exe with and without the UPX compression.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Rainy wrote:The source for the false positive probably is the UPX compressor which is used by the AutoIt. I was using UPX also previously in Rainlendar but had to stop because basically every release was reported to contain a virus by some random antivirus tool.

The Jotti's malware scan is a good place to verify if the file really has a virus or not. Here are couple of screenshots of the exe with and without the UPX compression.
I can compile without UPX compression. It adds all of 400k to the size of the compiled .exe if I turn it off. Is there any other downside to turning of UPX I should be aware of?
Rainy
Developer

Post by Rainy »

Apart from the extra space needed for the installation there shouldn't be any drawbacks. The installer is compressed so it shouldn't even affect the download size.
jycas

Post by jycas »

Any solution for this problem? I'm having this problem too. I'm using sophos antivirus.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Greetings jycas and :welcome: to the forums.

I invite you to read the complete post.

The solution has already been rendered, but not yet instituted.

Will be available in the next Beta release to be sure.
tervingo

Post by tervingo »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and to Rainmeter too (though I've already been able to program some skins for it). I find the application really fantastic. My sincere congratulations to all the developers.

I have installed Rainmeter at my work's PC (where we have Sophos as the corporate AV) and I'm having the same problem reported in this post. I partially solved the problem by manually editing the skins I'm using and by putting the whole path to the variable.inc file, so that it is correctly loaded, but still the display of the fonts and colors are not "normal" compared to my other Rainmeter installations.

The last comment of this thread mentioned a solution to this false positive issue in the next Beta release. Any idea when this new Beta release will be available?

Thank you and Best Regards