It is currently March 29th, 2024, 9:35 am

CAPSkin

Skins that don't neatly fit into other categories
CapitalHitman38

CAPSkin

Post by CapitalHitman38 »

http://www.deviantart.com/art/CAPSkin-440436765

This is my first ever skin so please be gentle?

:welcome:
lysy1993lbn

Re: CAPSkin

Post by lysy1993lbn »

It's not your skin.
Fact that you packed some skins in rmskin doesn't make it yours.

If you have at least shred of respect to original authors then you should delete this from deviantart.
"Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."
my deviantART | Alternative Rainmeter tray icons
Mordasius

Post by Mordasius »

This sort of thing is far from unusual in Deviant Art. The bottom line is that CAPSkin should not be posting this as .rmskin in his name because it is nothing more than a compilation of other peoples's skins.

Better to just post it as a screenshot with credits and, even better, links to the original author(s).
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

lysy1993lbn wrote:It's not your skin.
Fact that you packed some skins in rmskin doesn't make it yours.

If you have at least shred of respect to original authors then you should delete this from deviantart.
I disagree. Setups using various skins from other authors are probably one of the most common things we see on deviantART, and there is nothing wrong with that in and of itself.

I think it is useful to point out to the original poster that:

1) What he has posted is not a "skin" and certainly not "his skin", but rather a "layout" or "theme" or even just "my desktop of Rainmeter skins". The term he used to describe it might on the surface lead you to think he is taking some kind of credit for the individual skins, but on deviantART he does make it clear that he is just using skins he got from various authors.

2) Most authors are delighted to have folks use their skins, alone or in combinations with others. They wouldn't have posted it in the first place otherwise. They are generally happy even if the skin is modified in some way, to improve it or change it to make it work better in the context of some kind of "theme" the end-user is going for. What most do want, and have the right to expect, is that credit is given to them in the description of the submission, with a link to the original work.

3) If what you have is just a compilation of other author's skins, arranged on your desktop in a way that pleases you and a nice wallpaper image, then as Mordasius suggests, a better approach might be to submit it as a screenshot rather than a .rmskin, and just include links to the skins used and the wallpaper, so others can re-create what you have done if they like it. If you have modified some of the skins, then posting the .rmskin makes sense, while still providing credit and links to the original work.

However, I don't think we need to jump down the throat of a new user of Rainmeter, who is justifiably proud of what they have accomplished, and is only guilty of being new to how things are done, what the common terms are, and how skins are created, shared and used in the Rainmeter community.

A little more help and guidance and a little less rush to judgment would be my preference.
lysy1993lbn

Post by lysy1993lbn »

I disagree that skin makers are delighted to see someone else posting their work without even pointing them as original author and claiming themselves that they made it. (which i consider they do, since in most cases they say "my skin / theme / layout").

I agree that there's nothig wrong with re-sharing / modifying etc. as long as they at least give author a credit or better even ask them.
"Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

lysy1993lbn wrote:I disagree that skin makers are delighted to see someone else posting their work without even pointing them as original author and claiming themselves that they made it. (which i consider they do, since in most cases they say "my skin / theme / layout").

I agree that there's nothig wrong with re-sharing / modifying etc. as long as they at least give author a credit or better even ask them.
When did I ever say that "skin makers are delighted to see someone else posting their work without even pointing them as original author and claiming themselves that they made it."? That is a very irritating change to the entire meaning of what I said.

What I DID say is that there is no reason to assume that a new user of Rainmeter who posts what they have done intends to take credit for other's work, and immediately jump down their throat in a hostile way. Much better to point out how it might be done correctly, and see if we can't bring along a new member of the community rather than chasing them off.
lysy1993lbn

Post by lysy1993lbn »

I might have misunderstood you a bit.. Apoligies :?

I meant that I disagree with this sentence
jsmorley wrote:I disagree. Setups using various skins from other authors are probably one of the most common things we see on deviantART, and there is nothing wrong with that in and of itself.
There is. Posting it as "my" skin / theme / layout when there is nothing they've made.

As Mordasius said, in case like this one better is to post a screenshot and give links to elements on it in description.
Everyone would be happy then.

I am very happy to see someone's using my skins but I'm not happy at all to see someone's claiming my skins as their own. (And as this I mean not giving a credit)