It is currently September 29th, 2024, 3:38 pm

Can't remove symbol output

General topics related to Rainmeter.
jdav93436

Can't remove symbol output

Post by jdav93436 »

I am getting into Rainmeter, and just tried to connect to coretemp. I have it working correctly but there is a symbol that I can't remove. Any ideas would be appreciated.

This is the code that I am using:
[MeasureCore1Temp]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=CoreTemp
CoreTempType=Temperature
CoreTempIndex=0
[MeterCore1Temp]
Meter=STRING
MeterStyle=styleLeftText
MeasureName=MeasureCore1Temp
X=10
Y=180
W=190
H=14
Text="CPU Temp: %1°C"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moshi

Re: Can't remove symbol output

Post by moshi »

you have to save your skin's INI file with the right encoding (UTF-16 Little Endian)

on Notepad that would be "Unicode"
on SciTE that would be "UTF-16 Little Endian"
and on other text editors it might be "UTF-16 LE" or similar
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

In Notepad++ it is "UCS-2 Little Endian"

http://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/unicode-in-rainmeter

Generally speaking, it is fine to encode your skin .ini files as ANSI, as the "special character" most often used in Rainmeter skins is the degree symbol "°", and that is generally, but not always, included in the ANSI (ASCII + Extended ASCII) set that is supported by the locale defined for your Windows system.

If that character does not display correctly in Rainmeter, then it is possible that either your particular locale codepage ("language" in Windows) does not translate the ASCII code for that character to "°", or you have the file encoded as UTF-8, which you must never do with Rainmeter .ini files.

In either case, changing the encoding to UTF-16 LE (however that is described in your particular text editor) will correct the issue. You may have to "re-paste" the character into your .ini file after you change the encoding, you can simply copy it from here:

°
exper1mental

Post by exper1mental »

Try saving it in notepad as ANSI. When saving the file in other file editors as long as you don't use "Save As..." they will then also save it in ANSI format.

UTF-16 LE/Little Endian approximately doubles the size of text files and rainmeter skin files compared to saving them in ANSI format.
jdav93436

Post by jdav93436 »

Thank you for your help. That fixed it right away.