It is currently September 29th, 2024, 3:29 pm

Question about the limitations of rainmeter

General topics related to Rainmeter.
bystander

Question about the limitations of rainmeter

Post by bystander »

Heya! I just discovered rainmeter 2 days ago and well...spent the last 2 days editing preexisting skins. Anyway, I was wondering where rainmeter meets its limits. Can one possibly, with enough dedication, know how, and lack of a life create a custom animated interactive character that reacts to your desktop, and your mouse (ei; where you click, interact with other skins, hover, etc)?

Thankies in advance.
FlyingHyrax

Re: Question about the limitations of rainmeter

Post by FlyingHyrax »

I'd say Rainmeter meets its limits right about where you describe. :)
It *might* be possible, but if it was it would be enormously resource intensive and hugely impractical to write. For something like that, Rainmeter just isn't the tool for the job. You're going to want something more robust if you want to resurrect Clippy.
Flying Hyrax on DeviantArt
exper1mental

Re: Question about the limitations of rainmeter

Post by exper1mental »

It is possible
FlyingHyrax wrote:I'd say Rainmeter meets its limits right about where you describe. :)
It *might* be possible, but if it was it would be enormously resource intensive and hugely impractical to write. For something like that, Rainmeter just isn't the tool for the job. You're going to want something more robust if you want to resurrect Clippy.
Yep, the only way it wouldn't kill performance would by using UpdateDivider (which for the most part would need to be set to -1). And then for any Fades/MeterXY-Movement you'd need to set the Rainmeter Update to something like 20 and use Kaelri's Transitions.Lua script available in the Lua Scripting section.

Beyond that you'd be in uncharted waters, where you might find disaster, treasure or both.