It is currently September 29th, 2024, 5:29 pm

Question on Scaling - What are you all doing?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
EricMiller

Question on Scaling - What are you all doing?

Post by EricMiller »

Hello Everyone,

Just a general question here on what you are all doing for scaling your creations. Even laptops are coming out now with 3200 x 1800 resolution. Are you scaling your projects, creating a S/M/L version of them, or just one size should fit all?

I really need to take a week off from tinkering on my own, download some creations and see how other people do things so I admit that. I am wrapping up my second learning project now and rarely need to go past the forums and tutorials although I probably should do some reverse engineering on a few skins.

Anyway, was just wondering what you are all thinking going forward on this topic.

Thanks,

-Eric
iNjUST

Re: Question on Scaling - What are you all doing?

Post by iNjUST »

I've designed 90% of my skins as inherently scalable by defining all of the dimensions using a common variable, typically:

Code: Select all

[Variables]
size=1.0
radius=(#size#*50)

[MyMeter]
X=(#size#*10)
Y=(#size#*30)
W=(#radius#*2)
; etc. 
FlyingHyrax

Post by FlyingHyrax »

In addition to the method injust described, the built-in monitor variables are your friend. You can use the current screen dimensions to define sizes in your skin, which makes some things very easy to scale automatically no matter what the user's resolution is.

For me, the hardest part of autoscaling is the fonts: font sizes are in points, not pixels, which gets awkward quickly as the correspondence isn't 1 to 1. I don't even think it's linear. It is linear, but DPI-dependent.
Flying Hyrax on DeviantArt
Seahorse

Post by Seahorse »

I simply multiply font by the same factor, and the variable radius is only in my skins that use roundlines. As far as I know I wrote the first scaleable skin...
"Regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt