It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:24 pm

Forums show up as down for maintenance unless I use proxy?

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
sammael

Forums show up as down for maintenance unless I use proxy?

Post by sammael »

Hello,

title says it all. I wanted to visit the forums yesterday and it said Down for maintenance. But then I received and e-mail with update to thread I posted, but the forum still said Down for maintenance. I tried using a proxy and bingo - forum works as usual.

I live in UK, and the proxy I used was in london. If I turn of the proxy site shows the Down for maintenance message.

Any idea what's going on ?

Thanks
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Forums show up as down for maintenance unless I use prox

Post by jsmorley »

We moved our entire setup to a new server that is harder, better, faster, stronger yesterday. This meant a change to our IP address and a change to the DNS record for "rainmeter.net". It can take some time for DNS changes to propagate everywhere in the world, although generally it should be everywhere within at most an hour or so.

If you get "Down for maintenance", that means you are still hitting the old IP address when your system resolves "rainmeter.net".

You might try going out to a cmd.exe command window, and typing "ipconfig /flushdns". This will clear any cached data for domain resolution in your system.
sammael

Post by sammael »

Ah, that would explain it. I tried flushing the dns cache but it's still no go without proxy. I guess it's my ISP who'd need to flush their cache. I'll just keep the proxy on till the changes propagate.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Jack02 wrote:I try to send just sits in my Outbox and never gets to the Sent folder. I tried sending a PM to Admin about this, but of course, that didn't get sent either.
PM's on the forums are not moved from outbox to sent until they are read by the recipient. As to doing a PM to the board admin, that won't help, as that account is never checked. Was there something you needed help with?