It is currently April 19th, 2024, 5:38 am

Cosmic Flow

Skins with graphics and animations
AlC

Cosmic Flow

Post by AlC »

Hey Guys,

this is a dynamically colored changing "Cosmic Flow" Background. It changes its hue all the time.

In the Variables.inc you can edit the settings, like the speed of the change, the start color or the background.
There are 6 resolutions (1280x1024, 1440x900, 1680x1050, 1920x1200, 1366x768, 1920x1080) at the moment. Say it if you need another resolution.

After the skin is loaded you should set it to "on desktop" and activate "Click through".

More infos about the ColorSpectrum script are here.

Credit:
Sony for the Wallpaper

Preview:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AlC on September 12th, 2013, 12:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rainmeter - You are only limited by your imagination and creativity.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Cosmic Flow Additions (CosmicEbbnFlow)

Post by eclectic-tech »

Love what you have done!

I have incorporated subtle color and alpha changes in a number of my skins over the past year or so, but not with the simplicity Lua brings to the process; so I really appreciate your sharing.

In hopes of adding to the effects, I made 2 changes to your creation and thought I would post them here, rather than publicly, because you did all the initial work :thumbup:

CosmicEbbnFlow (Skin attached below...)

The changes are to the way the skin updates the color change and the ability to set the background to 2 slowly alternating color images (Black, Grey, or White like yours).

The skin updates at the default 1000ms and an update divider handles the color and alpha change rates. I removed the !SetWallpaper because it is not needed, and instead I changed the OnRefreshAction to set the skin position to the desktop; it is not necessary to do this in the 'Settings' menu.

I added a random update rate to the color change measure; the default settings will change the update rate randomly from 1 to 6 seconds, every 30 seconds. The alpha is inversely timed by the same randomness [1~6 sec]; if the color is changing every 2 seconds, the alpha will change every 5 seconds ... if color is changing every 6 seconds, alpha is changing every second ... etc.

Rather than select a static background, I added 2 meters to set a primary background (Black, Grey, or White) and secondary background image (Black, Grey, or White ... set to the same image if no background change is desired). The background images were enlarged to 4x4 pixels and changed to PNG format to allow scaling and transparency. I sized the images to 1 pixel less than the #ScreenAreaHeight# to allow access to the bottom desktop edge; it may be necessary to alter the image X Y W or H by a pixel, if it covers other screen edges you need to access on your desktop.

The secondary image alpha is changed at a varying rate to allow the primary background to be seen. The alpha range can be controlled by variables.

Now you can have a dynamically changing color image and background image.

Note: Due to upload issues, only the 1280x1024 image is included in "...Ebbn..." version; other sizes are available in AlC's Cosmic Flow skin above.

All of the options can be changed in the variables.inc file

Hope you like the additions!

Thanks again for sharing a subject I believe enhances the Rainmeter experience :rosegift:

Edits:
Version 1.3 ... Changed alpha step to match color #Range# variable which controls amount of change

Version 1.4 ... Added horizontal scrolling ... Available here (File is slightly larger than the 1 meg upload limit due to included image!)
Version 1.5 ... Available here (Tied horizontal scrolling updates to hue shifts (variable timing) ... tweaked for larger transitions ... still playing!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by eclectic-tech on September 4th, 2013, 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AlC

Re: Cosmic Flow

Post by AlC »

Hey, nice to hear that you like it :)

Yep, it's a nice addition that you have made!

I've looked at your Code and I think you could do the Background thing easier if you just use SolidColor at the [WallImage] meter, because the background is transparent of the images so you would have an easy solid background without having extra background images.

Just a note why I used the !SetWallpaper variant: I had some problems with meters behind the taskbar. [See jsmorley's post] If you look at the sizes of the images you will see that I cut the bottom 40pixels of the images because of the taskbar. A strange thing is that when I have run your code I hadn't a problem.

I had this with the OnRefreshAction also in mind but if the user want to change the settings of the skin, he have to change the settings always after a refresh. But at this skin you could stay it there.

All in all a nice addition!
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

@AlC

First thanks again for this...

I wanted to vary the background that shows through the semi-transparent colored image, but setting the image as the wallpaper would not allow for this effect.

You are right that I probably could do that with 1 image and varying the alpha value, but I didn't want to vary the colored image, so using solidcolor on that meter and varying the alpha would give a completely different effect.

As for the Taskbar, I normally auto-hide mine, so leaving the image 1 pixel shorter than my ScreenAreaHeight allows me to access it. JSMorley is right that Windows will control the overall taskbar placement priority and decide what it will show; all we can do is try to handle it as best we can.

Version 1.4 (almost ready): I added a controllable horizontal shift to the image; makes it slowly drift across the screen. The problem is I had to modify the image making it tile-able and twice the horizontal width :o I don't think I want to get into supplying all the resolutions you offered (very kind BTW); maybe I can do something with transformation matrix, but that tool is a bit mind-boggling :twisted:

Thanks for the reply... I think that Sony image has me transfixed with making your skin even more mesmerizing :lol:
Heading back to the sandbox to see what else I can do with your creation.

Thanks! :thumbup:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

TransformationMatrix is easy!

eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

EXACTLY! :rolmfao:
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Added subtle horizontal scrolling of the image, why? :confused: ... because I wanted more! :p

The image makes the file just over 1meg, so it cannot be uploaded here...
Available from my Google Drive
AlC

Post by AlC »

Nice nice eclectic-tech !

I updated the ColorSpectrum.lua script and the skin so you can change the hue change direction (0->360 or 360->0).
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

AlC wrote:Nice nice eclectic-tech !

I updated the ColorSpectrum.lua script and the skin so you can change the hue change direction (0->360 or 360->0).
Nice addition AlC! 8-)

I think I am done "playing" with this for a while, but I will be sure to utilize your code in future ideas!

My latest mod.. adds a transformation matrix to the image...
The code is hideous, the drain on the CPU almost unbearable, but what the heck, it results in a constantly changing desktop :sly:

Thanks again AlC!
AlC

Post by AlC »

Yes, I'm done with it at the moment, too. But I'm sure that the time will come when I get the strongly desire again to play with TransformationMatrix ;).

But I think I will play a little bit with the ColorSpectrum script when I have time, I still have some ideas.