It is currently September 29th, 2024, 5:40 pm

How could we change Tooltip Style (font, size, color etc)?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
alfapegasi

How could we change Tooltip Style (font, size, color etc)?

Post by alfapegasi »

First of all, as a newbie to rainmeter and its skins, I would like to thank to coders and maintainers of this wonderful package and its community.

Now the question:
I can guess the answer as "no you cannot" however there might be other ways to handle the "toottip style".

I am trying to show a web-parsed text in toottip however since it is a tabulated data (fixed to 24 lines x 80 columns with terminal fonts) it doesn't look well with classical arial font and font-size.

How can I apply rainmeter's style directives to tooltips?
-or-
Are there other ways to get the same effect using /other/ plugins and/or skins of rainmeter.

Thanks in advance.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: How could we change Tooltip Style (font, size, color etc

Post by jsmorley »

You cannot alter the font attributes of a tooltip. That is controlled by Windows.

You could approximate a "tooltip" using meters that you did a !ShowMeter / !HideMeter on when the mouse moves over or off some other meter, but it would not be exactly the same. It would not fade in and out, would not easily be "timed" in such a way that a casual movement of the mouse over the meter wouldn't trigger it, and in general would be a lot of work just to get a different font.

It might also be possible to use some addon like Growl or Snarl, which have their own tooltip functionality "baked-in" and are more flexible. Not sure how well this would work, as I have not really explored it.
alfapegasi

Re: How could we change Tooltip Style (font, size, color etc

Post by alfapegasi »

Thanks.

I was expected this.

For the records:
I have one more idea to try: Create a JPEG from the web parsed content using a tool (either on the server side or client side; aka. html-to-jpeg) and display it using tooltip feature. Of course if the format of the web content can be preformatted it would be much easier to handle.

However, as you said, it is still too much work just to have a "formatted" tooltip... :)