It is currently September 29th, 2024, 7:20 pm

Dual Monitor pain

General topics related to Rainmeter.
thelostsoul24

Dual Monitor pain

Post by thelostsoul24 »

It's an unbelievably simple thing, but whenever I fire up my pc, it loads rainmeter, puts all of the skins in the correct place across both monitors, and then condenses them all to one monitor. With a simple refresh they all move back to where they should be, but I would love it if they just stayed where they originally were.... Any help would be appreciated, because I obviously haven't been able to figure this out.

-I did try looking around to see if someone else had this problem, and I'm either an idiot (completely possible) or I couldn't find an answer... So if it already has been dealt with in another thread, it would be appreciated if I could be shown where it is.
bobgrosh

Re: Dual Monitor pain

Post by bobgrosh »

Lost Soul
snip.... I'm either an idiot (completely possible) or .... snip

I feel that way sometimes. Can't tell you how many times Tech support people have told me "we sold two billion of those and you are the only one who has that problem.

I'm here to tell you that you won't find an answer here because you are the only one who ever had that problem.
LOL
Seriously, that just doesn't happen.... Normally.
However. I have had it happen to me a few times. It is possible that you are experiencing something similar.
My to main PCs have multiple monitors, One has two, the other three. Ninety nine percent of the time Rainmeter works perfectly. once in a great while I have had all the skins on the second or third monitor move to the first or second monitor. There seemed to be a common theme as to when it happened. One was a loose connection on the second monitor, another was a video card going bad, another was a monitor going bad.
A slightly different cause is sometimes when someone using a remote desktop connection, (teamviewer, Google Remote Desktop, etc), boards my computer and changes the resolution and or turns on or off Aero.

As far as I know, there is nothing in Rainmeter that can cause this. So, I would look at the monitor drivers.
something may be changing resolution during the boot up sequence.
You might see the monitor power light blink or change color, or the display flash, flicker or blink after windows has loaded.
1) Right click on the desktop and click resolution. check each monitor, they should be set the same.
2) try setting them both to the native resolution of the monitor.
3) If the native resolution of both monitors do not match that may be the problem, although I have in the past run two different monitors and did not have this problem.
4) If you monitor came with a non MS driver, (monitors that rotate 90 degrees for portrait mode) the driver may be loading later than Rainmeter.
5) If you are using a driver disk from the video card manufacture, try disabling the driver and load the Microsoft generic drivers.
6) If all of the above doesn't help, you might search the net for "delayed startup" and delay the start of Rainmeter for a few seconds to give the monitors a chance to stabilize.

... Bob
thelostsoul24

Post by thelostsoul24 »

Thanks a lot! I was able to find a program that delayed the start, and now everything loads like it should. I do have one more question for you though... I copied a skin folder and created another so that I could run 2 of the skin at the same time, but when rainmeter loads, they both load on top of each other instead of their separate spots. Any ideas on how to fix this?

-Edit
Nevermind... it's actually an issue with the skin itself... So thanks a lot for your reply!
bobgrosh

Post by bobgrosh »

thelostsoul24 wrote:Thanks a lot! I was able to find a program that delayed the start, and now everything loads like it should. I do have one more question for you though... I copied a skin folder and created another so that I could run 2 of the skin at the same time, but when rainmeter loads, they both load on top of each other instead of their separate spots. Any ideas on how to fix this?

-Edit
Nevermind... it's actually an issue with the skin itself... So thanks a lot for your reply!
I do that all the time.
For example. ...documents\rainmeter\skins I have Enigma and Enigma2
So... start rainmeter and load the skin ...\Enigma\Sidebar\Reader\Reader.ini
.... then ... load the skin ...\Enigma2\Sidebar\Reader\Reader.ini (NOTE THE TWO AFTER ENIGMA)

When configuring Enigma, you will use two different options skins, one under Enigma, and one under Enigma2
You can up the two different note skins anywhere you want, one on the left monitor and the other on the right monitor. Once everything is arraigned the way you want, launch the rainmeter manager , go to layouts and save all the skins using a name like Multi-Skin-Layout.
Each copy of enigma will then be totally independent of each other. This is the same way you would combine skins from different suites like Gnometer and enigma.