It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:22 pm

Carried over question (Languages, Culture, and Learning)

Topics unrelated to Rainmeter.
sgtevmckay

Carried over question (Languages, Culture, and Learning)

Post by sgtevmckay »

bendenfield wrote:sarge, what else languages do you speek actually? :lol:
Zero's and One's ;)

I do not actually speak any other than Spanish (Espanol), Latin, some Mandarin, and Japanese, but I study and can understand better than I speak.

Rainmeter is a culture unto it's own, but still exists in a vast and ever expanding world. the world is not small, just small mind people (from time to time), In this world we come together in small places, and these places are full of people from different cultures and upbringing.
I have learned that the world is made larger by others 8-)
I for one embrace our differences and bask in the glow of our many cultural and imaginative inputs.
The various translation sites and software is inadequate, so the only way I know to relate to folks is to learn their language, and there are plenty of sites to learn from. ;)

I love proverbs and sayings, and cultures of all kinds are rich with them. These proverbs help to define what has become that countries customs and peoples culture.

Taking from a German proverb (and that my grandmother is from Germany ;) ).
Andere Länder, andere Sitten.
and
Anfangen ist leicht, beharren eine Kunst.

Rough translation:
Other countries, other customs
and
To begin is easy, to persist is art.

I grew up in a proverb rich family. My first lessons were words that meant nothing at the time, but as I grow older, these words ring in my head with many truths.
Think about words that your Parents and Grandparent spoke to you and others, that made absolutely no sense at the time, but you feel they were right on the mark as you grow up. These Proverbs (Teachings) have helped to define you, your culture, and how you have grown up.

My heritage is a cluster of many culture.
I am the descendant of Native American (Indian Cherokee), English, Japanese, Scottish, Irish, German, Vietnamese, Mexican, French, Welsh, and Brazilian (in just the last 4 generations, and damn do I look white for all those differences :P )
I have traveled far and visited many of my family in my life, and have found that to relate to them properly, I have had to learn, and I carry this experience to where I am now.
By finding quotes of Proverbs for the various countries, I learn not only the language but the culture as well, and this helps me relate to almost anyone; in time ;)

I actually am not only passionate about Rainmeter, but have also become so over our community. I see all our input, imaginations, abilities great & small, and our individual & Combined efforts. I see the first timer taking that first impossible (Scary) step, and I see the more experienced here to help and expand. I see people of all experience levels welcome the next with no regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, personal orientation, and we do not discriminate, but because we are different, we all make an effort to take ourselves to that persons place, so I must do no different; even if how I do it is different.
Not once do we consider if that person is next door or half a world away. We are all different, but we bring our differences to others, and we expand as we influence and are influenced, by others.
Without all of the worlds input, and the people that live in this world, and their input: Rainmeter would not be where and what it is today.
I see what has become of Rainmeter and our community, and I cry great tears of joy.

Magis Esse
It is my wish for all to understand and embrace this Latin concept.
bendenfield

Re: Carried over question (Languages, Culture, and Learning)

Post by bendenfield »

nice speaking.
and i fully agree.

i only speak german and english (but very well i think, at least the german language) :D.
and a bit latin, but to be serious i am learning latin in my 5th year now and i never heard about Magis esse, until i joined this community and get in touch with an international community for the first time. that has something ironical, i guess. :D
and also, before i joined this community i was really bad in the school subject english, but it has changed. maybe my english isn't perfect yet, but i think i have reached the point, where i could make holidays in an english speaking country alone, without getting lost :D. and 80% of that knowledge i have raised through the last months, in wich i was a member of these forums.

a bad thing in german schools is, that you actually don't learn the english language as it is really spoken. you always learn how to analyze, summarize and comment on a text, but not to speak the language.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

agreed

the art of speaking other languages has been relegated to reading and commenting, not speaking to understand the phonetic words and grammar structure.

You do just fine friend, and all the best at more improvements ;)
Yelleke

Post by Yelleke »

My natural language is dutch.
I know english verry wel, but writing it is somehow difficult.
Sometimes I'm struggeling with my words, thinking how to write stuff I want.
I have it in my head, but grammatically it is a mess.
Butt, I'm trying.

I dont know other languages as I don't need them.
With english in your head, you get arround the world.

;)
bendenfield

Post by bendenfield »

true. english became something like a "lingua franca" (as to say it with latin words :lol:) within the past years or even centuries.

but still speaking foreign languages is something that really fascinates me....

this whole discussion here reminds me of a story my father told me once:
he did his basic military service in an international nato-base in canada. his knowledge about the english language was almost nothing. anyway his buddies wanted him to order some drinks from the hotel service, as he was the only one out of them who had have english in school. so he phoned the hotel's room service and asked for beer. the woman at the other side of the phone asked wich sort of beer they wanted and my father replied: "what for beer have you then?".
actually this won't be funny for you if you don't speak german, as it is a literal translation of the phrase you usually say in germany when you ask for information about the different beers they offer. the german phrase is: "Was für Bier haben sie denn?".

@ yelleke:
i am living very near to the dutch border (about 500m away :D), but surprisingly cannot speak dutch. when i read it i understand almost everything of it (just as it is very similar to german vocabularies), but speaking it, is a completly different thing.
Yelleke

Post by Yelleke »

bendenfield wrote: @ yelleke:
i am living very near to the dutch border (about 500m away :D), but surprisingly cannot speak dutch. when i read it i understand almost everything of it (just as it is very similar to german vocabularies), but speaking it, is a completly different thing.
I do not live in the netherlands, but in Belgium.
And my german is something like the former Belgium, Bayern Munchen goalkeeper, Jean Marie Pfaff.
Ich habe eine goal gemacht

:lol:
bendenfield

Post by bendenfield »

yeah, i know. but dutch is also/mainly spoken in the netherlands aswell :)
Yelleke

Post by Yelleke »

In the netherlands they speak only dutch I guess.
in Belgium, a country nearly seen on the globe, we have three languages.
Dutch, french and german.

in our dutch, we have many dialects and I speak the dialect; Antwaarps.
As ge da kunt, dan zedde ne krak. (if you can this, you are a the best)