It is currently September 29th, 2024, 9:33 pm

Looking for drive ACTIVITY (*not* SPACE) monitor

General topics related to Rainmeter.
WmHBlair

Looking for drive ACTIVITY (*not* SPACE) monitor

Post by WmHBlair »

I found my way here to Rainmeter because of several recommendations that there were great (drive) activity monitors (along with CPU, swap, etc.). But what I actually find are the usual, ho-hum drive SPACE (available, used) monitors; none appear to monitor actual drive (or partition) ACTIVITY. Did I miss something? All the Google search hits that would lead one to believe that drive activity should be exhibited actually turn out to be skins that have nothing more than the usual, boring space monitors (of which I have no need).

Have I missed something (like the obvious somewhere ... but not to me)?
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Looking for drive ACTIVITY (*not* SPACE) monitor

Post by jsmorley »

You will need to use the PerfMon plugin included with Rainmeter.

http://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/plugins/perfmon

Here is a simple skin that demonstrates:
DriveLights_1.0.rmskin
DriveLights.jpg
You need to run the PerfMon.exe application in Windows click on "Performance Monitor" then click on the green "+" icon to "Add Counter". Find the entries you will use in:

PerfMonObject=PhysicalDisk
PerfMonCounter="Disk Reads/sec"
PerfMonInstance="0 C:"

Which will look something like this:
perf.jpg
You mileage may vary a bit on the string used in PerMonInstance, as it can be different depending on which version of Windows you are on.

I just have it display drive "lights", but you can use the actual values as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WmHBlair

Post by WmHBlair »

Thanks, I have found things like that, but that's not exactly what I am looking for. I should have been more specific or at least more descriptive in my original post, in which I tried to be brief, apparently to the detriment of understandability. I am *not* looking for (generic) hard drive I/O activity, but either separate, individual physical drive activity or, alternatively, separate, individual logical drive partition activity.

Anything like that exist? That's what I cannot find in the forest of search results.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I don't know of anything already made like that specifically, but I believe all of that information is available with the PerfMon plugin, as they are values in Windows Performance Monitor. Look under "Logical Disk" for monitors for drive letters assigned to partitions.
WmHBlair

Post by WmHBlair »

Thanks. I will pursue it myself and perhaps post what I create.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Sounds good. We are around if you get stuck on something.