It is currently May 2nd, 2024, 12:08 am

Weather Alternatives

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
iUnify

Re: Weather Alternatives

Post by iUnify »

What may happen to accuweather? For what reason would we no longer be able to use them?

Also, what does a weather site have to supply to be able to use it.... meaning, are there some sites that we can just NOT use in RM?
Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

iUnify wrote:What may happen to accuweather? For what reason would we no longer be able to use them?
They're shutting down our feed since we don't seem to fill our end of the deal.
The site gets more hits now, but their income is still the same. Since we just parse all the info, no one goes to the site == no one's clicking on the ads == no monies for AccuWeather.
iUnify wrote:Also, what does a weather site have to supply to be able to use it.... meaning, are there some sites that we can just NOT use in RM?
As long as it's HTML, we can parse it. After tha criteria is met, it's just a matter if it's legal or not.
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Chewtoy wrote: They're shutting down our feed since we don't seem to fill our end of the deal.
Make no mistake folks
We have met our end of the bargain.
It is that the folks at AccuWeather never expected the load they received after the release of Rainmeter 1.0 and the weather.com debacle.
As Mr. Syler explained:
We never expected the bandwidth usage we are seeing. I will, at this point, need to turn this over to another department that can handle the needs of Rainmeter, and establish a proper business partnership.
It is not so much a Rainmeter community issue, as there were certain expectations by AccuWeather, that were not properly explain, combined with the unexpected increase, with no verifiable revenue increase to AccuWeather.

Other than proper links, which many are struggling to get into place now, We have met our end of the agreement.
Plus the institution of a lot of upgrades, as requested by AccuWeather.

The ball is in AccuWeather's court, so if they decide to pull the plug, it will eventually be their loss, especially with the expansion of Rainmeter to an ever growing end user population.
iUnify

Post by iUnify »

Oh, there is no doubt RM is and will continue to grow. Funny- often times people miss out on things due to the inability to see the big picture. Oh well, there will always be another. There must have been some sort of agreement signed, lawyers and the such, no? So I am sure all of the details are known and right there to be seen for both parties. Was there ever any promise of revenue increase for AccuWeather? I mean, most people will NOT click on an external link when visiting their site or most other websites like that anyways I would imagine.

Are we going to see Ad Banners going up here soon? I hope not. Besides users clicking them for clicks for RM I don't see anyone making use of them. Maybe if there was a more proper place for them besides the forums, than again this is the place that receives the most hits by far.

I really can't see anything ever being agreed on between RM and AccuWeather on how much money they would gain in the relationship. I would think for one it's too soon to tell what would come and two- it is the source code used- not the actual site. Why not banners on the AccuWeather RM Source Code page??? That makes sense. Than, anytime somone gets the code- it would be just as if they were visiting the normal site. You could even throw in one of those super-annoying pop up ads too... just as long as we don't get anything like that on the forums I am all for whatever makes RM and it's subsidiarties money for both keeping things updated and hopefully putting some loot in the pockets of its CREATOR. I'd say that is well over-due. (Even though I know it was not created for that purpose it has made a LOT of folks happy and changed the way a LOT of folks access their desktop/PC, how COOL it looks, etc, etc, etc. I could go on forever here but I'm not).

Well- thanks for the replies fellas.

Hope Accu comes around and I hope all things work themselves out sooner than later.

Have a good one all. :)
glfsd

Post by glfsd »

sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

glfsd wrote:I'm trying
http://weather.weatherbug.com/
Good deal, please advise how this turns out. I had a lot of confusion getting around their API and contractual agreement.

They really need to simplify it, and I need to know how well this will work internationally
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

I can't get a Canadian RSS feed for anywhere besides Ottawa and trying any countries that aren't Canada or the US (ie: that it doesn't accept postal/zip codes for) will only get you an error in the feed and have the weather for Washington D.C.
On the flip side, it's apparently free to use so long as you have a visible link back to their site alongside the information.
ImageImageImageImage
Benjamin Linus

Post by Benjamin Linus »

sgtevmckay wrote: <SNIP>
The ball is in AccuWeather's court, so if they decide to pull the plug, it will eventually be their loss, especially with the expansion of Rainmeter to an ever growing end user population.
Is there a Plan B in place :?
Benjamin Linus

Post by Benjamin Linus »

glfsd wrote:I'm trying
http://weather.weatherbug.com/
:)

How is this progressing, any update please.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Benjamin Linus wrote: Is there a Plan B in place :?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Plan "B" has been listed with this post
I am always looking for more.

I have moved onto plan "C"
Let's "C" where that goes ;)
Could be a while, but I am looking diligently