It is currently May 27th, 2024, 6:31 pm

Cogs, Tubes 'n' Gauges

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
Oneiros42
Posts: 9
Joined: February 5th, 2012, 5:29 am

Re: Cogs, Tubes 'n' Gauges

Post by Oneiros42 »

Done.
Bekarfel
Posts: 216
Joined: May 16th, 2012, 5:38 am

Re: Cogs, Tubes 'n' Gauges

Post by Bekarfel »

Mordasius, would it be possible to create an 8 core version of the CPU-RAM-SWAP skin
moshi wrote:there are many Rainmeter skins that aren't really useful, so let's add another one.
jsmorley wrote:I have good news and bad news.
First the bad news. [...] We would be happy to have this happen and would love to work with anyone who is feeling ambitious.
Now the good news.
I lied, there isn't any good news...
User avatar
Mordasius
Posts: 1173
Joined: January 22nd, 2011, 4:23 pm
Location: GMT +8

Re: Cogs, Tubes 'n' Gauges

Post by Mordasius »

@Oneiros42

Got it!

Please try replacing the UtorrentLua.lua file in ....Rainmeter\Skins\CogsTubesGauges\Utorrent with the attached file.

For some reason I used for i = iItemCount, 0, -1 do to fill the tables. Changing it to for i = 1, iItemCount do seems to work with your file. I'll now have to try and work out why I did it that way in the first place

Update: The reason I filled the tables down to 0 was that sTemp, iItemCount = string.gsub(sAllText, ".-%[\"(.-)\"%]", "") sets iItemCount at one less than the number of items on my machine. I've therefore done another messy little work around that seems to work in both cases. It's in the attached file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mordasius on January 18th, 2013, 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Mordasius
Posts: 1173
Joined: January 22nd, 2011, 4:23 pm
Location: GMT +8

Re: Cogs, Tubes 'n' Gauges

Post by Mordasius »

Bekarfel wrote:Mordasius, would it be possible to create an 8 core version of the CPU-RAM-SWAP skin
Yes it would be possible.

I think the neatest way would be to put sliders for two cores in each of the existing four tubes. Adding an extra four tubes to the existing graphic would make it bigger than I'd like.
Oneiros42
Posts: 9
Joined: February 5th, 2012, 5:29 am

Re: Cogs, Tubes 'n' Gauges

Post by Oneiros42 »

Mordasius wrote:@Oneiros42

Got it!

Please try replacing the UtorrentLua.lua file in ....Rainmeter\Skins\CogsTubesGauges\Utorrent with the attached file.

For some reason I used for i = iItemCount, 0, -1 do to fill the tables. Changing it to for i = 1, iItemCount do seems to work with your file. I'll now have to try and work out why I did it that way in the first place
Yep, that did it. Thanks muchly!

In terms of future development of this skin, I'd like to suggest a "mechanism" for the day and date, and possibly some typewriter-style buttons to serve as shortcuts. Of course, if you DID make those I'd be obligated to hump your leg in glee, so it's your call.
Oneiros42
Posts: 9
Joined: February 5th, 2012, 5:29 am

Re: Cogs, Tubes 'n' Gauges

Post by Oneiros42 »

I also wanted to ask about the feed reader. Would it be possible to have the reader scroll through the different feeds at a specified rate, and having the feed update speed be independent of that?

Also, another suggestion because I can't shut up once I get going, another type of bevel to make the mechanisms seem impressed into the desktop, to resemble this kind of effect. I'm no artist, but I would think you'd only need to add a yellow indentation effect using an alpha channel so that you could apply the effect to any wallpaper background.
User avatar
Mordasius
Posts: 1173
Joined: January 22nd, 2011, 4:23 pm
Location: GMT +8

Re: Cogs, Tubes 'n' Gauges

Post by Mordasius »

Oneiros42 wrote:I'd like to suggest a "mechanism" for the day and date..
I've had a day/date skin with the rising and setting sun along with the moon phase in mind for some time and will get on to it shortly. Just as soon as I get done with spamming the wretched low-life bottom feeder that has repackaged my skins and been reluctant to change his DA post to a screenshot with a link to the Cogs, Tubes and Gauges page.
Oneiros42 wrote:and possibly some typewriter-style buttons to serve as shortcuts. Of course, if you DID make those I'd be obligated to hump your leg in glee, so it's your call.
I'm not that into leg-humping myself but have a friend with a Great Dane that does it all the time so I'll make the introductions and then it will be your call - probably something along the lines of "get him the f**k off of me"
Oneiros42 wrote:Would it be possible to have the reader scroll through the different feeds at a specified rate, and having the feed update speed be independent of that?
It would be easy to have the feedreader show a different feed every so many seconds while keeping the feed update rates as specified in the UserVariables.inc file. However, I'd never use this sort of thing myself as I like watching Kaelri's Universal Transitions script do its stuff when you click on one of the buttons.
Oneiros42 wrote:Also.. another type of bevel to make the mechanisms seem impressed into the desktop, to resemble this kind of effect.
This wouldn't work because while adding a yellow indentation effect would be fine on a red background it would look awful on a blue background.
Last edited by Mordasius on January 18th, 2013, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oneiros42
Posts: 9
Joined: February 5th, 2012, 5:29 am

Re: Cogs, Tubes 'n' Gauges

Post by Oneiros42 »

Mordasius wrote:It would be quite easy to have the feedreader show a different feed every so many seconds while keeping the feed update rates as specified in the UserVariables.inc file. However, I'd never use this sort of thing myself as I like watching Kaelri's Universal Transitions script do its stuff when you click on one of the buttons.
I like the animation too, I thought having it automatically switch feeds would toggle the animation when it switched. Rather than just flipping feeds, is there no way to instead tell the script that each button is getting pressed on a regular basis, in order to switch feeds but have the animation as well?
User avatar
Mordasius
Posts: 1173
Joined: January 22nd, 2011, 4:23 pm
Location: GMT +8

Re: Cogs, Tubes 'n' Gauges

Post by Mordasius »

Oneiros42 wrote:.. is there no way to instead tell the script that each button is getting pressed on a regular basis, in order to switch feeds but have the animation as well?
Yes there is. All you'd need to do would be have some sort of counter which triggers bangs along the lines of !CommandMeasure "MeasureReader" "Show(3)" every so many seconds.
Oneiros42
Posts: 9
Joined: February 5th, 2012, 5:29 am

Re: Cogs, Tubes 'n' Gauges

Post by Oneiros42 »

Mordasius wrote:All you'd need to do would be have some sort of counter which triggers bangs along the lines of !CommandMeasure "MeasureReader" "Show(3)" every so many seconds.
*nod* *smile*