Plugins and Addons popular with the Community
Virginityrocks

Re: FileView plugin 1.1

Post by Virginityrocks »

I will begin updating ze skin.
Virginityrocks

Post by Virginityrocks »

I have a quick question about the plugin. It seems that when Update=1000, the memory usage in Task Manager indicates that the usage increases perpetually every 1 second, and will continue to increase until FileView is closed. When Update=5000, it is perpetuated every 5 seconds, so this is definitely the cause.

Right now I have everything set to -1, which is what my skin has always used with both FileList and FileView. With FileList, it was necessary to prevent crashing. FileView seems to be a lot more stable, but I'm wondering about this memory problem.

The resources for Rainmeter climbed from 29,000k to over 40k in less than a minute, and continued to climb.

You can download the skin below, and look at the code for the toolbars. Changing -1 to 1000 will show the memory jump once per second. On my computer, by about 50 bytes per second.

What can I do to fix this problem? https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xOtWKbj9_wDxg9zbBGBWCoQ_eqp_RzCJN3-qXE0HppA/pub
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

I'm not seeing the memory problem you are describing. After installing your suite, the memory used by Rainmeter jumped to around 40K, but then it stayed stable.

There are a couple of problems though. You included version 1.0.4.0 of the plugin with your skin. The current version is 1.1.0.0 and it is now included with Rainmeter (as of last week's beta). When you move to the newest plugin, make sure you start your indexing at 1, instead of 0.

-Brian
Virginityrocks

Post by Virginityrocks »

Right. Almost forgot about that. It's weird that so many people give me the opposite results when I show them the problem.

Must be because I'm running Windows 8.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

I tested your suite on Windows 7 and Windows 8 DP with 2.5 beta r1758 (from last sunday) and r1761 (today) and have yet to see the behavior you are describing. I have also tried both versions 1.0.4.0 and 1.1.0.0 of the FileView plugin, and still nothing. Although there is a possibility that something in the way Windows manages memory has changed from their DP version to the release version, but I doubt it.

The only thing I notice with your suite is the use of a variable "NumberOfItems" (in your toolbar skins) that is not initialized when the skin, thus sending an error to the error log when the skin is refreshed. However, this should not be causing Rainmeter to increase in memory too much since it is only on refresh and not on every update. Setting an initial value in the Variables section gets rid of the error.

-Brian
Virginityrocks

Post by Virginityrocks »

I'M POSITIVE IT WAS DOING IT BEFORE. I tried again and the problem isn't happening. WHAT IS GOING ON!!! Too many drugs... I must consult the wizard.

I try not to initialize variables unless I need to. I hate clutter. But I guess I should get into the habit.

By the way, I was definitely mistaken on the 32-bit problem. I had 64 on 32.
Virginityrocks

Post by Virginityrocks »

Nope. I'm having other issues now. Is there any way for me to fix the problem with disappearing text without having to remove Update=-1? The CPU usage jumps by 15-20 percent on lower end machines with Update=1000, and anything more than that would cause a noticeable delay.

What about OnFinishAction=!Update attached to one of the measures, or does OnFinishAction still only work with Webphaser and RegExp? As far as I'm concerned, the skin doesn't need to update itself more than once, so long as the information is fully loaded prior to an !Update.

I'm already using OnRefreshAction=!Update to immediately update the skin, but that solutions seems to only work on PCs fast enough to grab the information before that command runs.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

I added FinishAction to the plugin. It will be available on the next beta release.

-Brian
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

Brian wrote:I added FinishAction to the plugin. It will be available on the next beta release.

-Brian
Virginityrocks

Post by Virginityrocks »

Brilliant! So that means the plugin will automatically run a !Refresh when its gathered the necessities?
Update=-1 should be fine to use then. Very well done. You have earned the virginity of my eight robot daughters. :thumbup: