It is currently April 25th, 2024, 8:41 am

FileView plugin 2.1

Plugins and Addons popular with the Community
Brian
Developer

Re: FileView plugin 1.0.3

Post by Brian »

@eclectic-tech: Could you answer a few questions for me:
  1. Could you be a little more specific as to what is exactly happening? Tell me the exact steps you are taking up to when the plugin no longer works.
  2. What do you mean by "locked-up"?
  3. When the skin "locks up", do other skins work? Or can you open the Manage dialog?
  4. Do you have the recursive option enabled (Recursive=1) ?
  5. Does Rainmeter crash whenever there you reload the skin containing this plugin (regardless of whether you scroll through any of the files) ?
  6. Does the "lock up" happen on certain folders (like C:\Windows), or is it on any folder?
  7. You mentioned once that the "lock up" happens on other commands, is it only certain commands, or all of them?
One more thing, can you try the following version: EDIT - Removed temporary version
It is the same version as before, but it has some extra debugging info. If you could open up "drwtsn32.exe" (open the "start menu", select "run", then type in "drwtsn32.exe") and select the following options:

Then make sure you open up the Dr. Watson folder specified in the "Log File Path" option, and leave it open until the process is complete. If there is a file "drwtsn32.log" and/or "user.dmp" in the Dr. Watson folder, delete both of them. Then click "Ok" to close "drwtsn32.exe".

Now open up the skin in Rainmeter and make it crash. After the crash, there should be a "drwtsn32.log" and "user.dmp" in the Dr. Watson folder. If the files are small enough, you can upload them here (preferably in a .zip file), or else you will need to upload them on a free file sharing site like Mediafire or something similar.

Thanks, and sorry for all the hassle.

@Virginityrocks: I am unfamiliar with the .website extension, and I am not able to use it on my system (since I don't use IE). Could you copy a .website file, save it in a .zip file and upload it here so that I can double check its file format (it is supposed to be like the .url file) ? If the format is the same, I can apply the same workaround as I did for .url files.

@dragonmage: I have been thinking about an "EmptyIndex" idea, but I haven't been able to implement it yet. Probably won't get time until next week to work on that.

-Brian
Virginityrocks

Post by Virginityrocks »

.Website are pinned files in Windows 7 and 8. You can make a .Website file by dragging the favicon from a website while viewing it in IE to a folder. I use .Website files in conjunction with a registry edit to open .Website files (which retain proper favicon information, unlike .URL) in my default non-IE browser.
Droptop Four
Dropdown menu bar & app launcher for Windows & Rainmeter
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Brian,
Here is the Dr. Watson Dump file: user.zip

Could you be a little more specific as to what is exactly happening?
While scrolling the indexes and path displays go blank (no text and no icons). The blue highlight still shows, and I can scroll, but nothing displays. I can select the "Previous Folder" and see drive letters; if I select any of them, I see only the previous folder "Icon & .." but nothing else. If I try to refresh or select an index, Rainmeter crashes and request sending a crash report to MS. (I attached a screenshot pix to a previous email).
Tell me the exact steps you are taking up to when the plugin no longer works.
I select drive "C:", scroll to "Windows" (usually no problem, but will sometimes not make it that far), then start to scroll down, after about 5~10 mouse wheel moves, the above description happens.
What do you mean by "locked-up"?
I mean that I cannot access any Rainmeter functions (no !About or !Manage, no access at the systray icon, no other skins respond). All I can do is maneuver blindly in the fileview skin.
When the skin "locks up", do other skins work?
No
Or can you open the Manage dialog?
No
Do you have the recursive option enabled (Recursive=1) ?
No, I tried it both as "1" and "0", and still locked up.
Does Rainmeter crash whenever there you reload the skin containing this plugin (regardless of whether you scroll through any of the files) ?
No, it is only after maneuvering with the mouse.
Does the "lock up" happen on certain folders (like C:\Windows), or is it on any folder?
It seems to happen in any folder; the size or number of folders or files does not seem to make any difference.
You mentioned once that the "lock up" happens on other commands, is it only certain commands, or all of them?
The only other command was the "Previous Folder" action caused it to lock 1 time, but usually it is while scrolling...

If it is more convenient, I can find some time to discuss this on the IRC chat.

EDIT: May not have replaced dll before first Dr. Watson test :? ... here is link to log with version "c" dll: drwtsn32-ver-c.zip
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Virginityrocks wrote:.Website are pinned files in Windows 7 and 8. You can make a .Website file by dragging the favicon from a website while viewing it in IE to a folder. I use .Website files in conjunction with a registry edit to open .Website files (which retain proper favicon information, unlike .URL) in my default non-IE browser.
The problem is, I don't have IE installed, so I can't make a .website file. If you could upload one, that would help out a lot.

@eclectic-tech: Thank your for your post. When I get some time, I will look through those files carefully to figure out what is going on. Hopefully I will find a solution sooner rather than later.

-Brian
Virginityrocks

Post by Virginityrocks »

Droptop Four
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Thanks! Unfortunately, I won't be able to support .website files at this time.

The information inside the .website file that controls the icon looks like this:

Code: Select all

IconFile=http://t.ca.msn.com/content/images/icons/MSN_Butterfly_msnblue_1x.ico
IconIndex=1
Since the icon is located on the web, I won't be able to access it with my plugin at this time, perhaps in the future. There is a chance the icon is stored in the "Temporary Internet Files" folder or in a "Temp" folder, but I will have to investigate that later when I get some time.

-Brian
Virginityrocks

Post by Virginityrocks »

Thanks, Brian. All of the icons that don't seem to work seem to be generally associated with the system32 folder, or other system folder. One thing I've noticed is that in one toolbar, all of the icons load properly except the shortcuts for Paint, Calculator, Notepad and Windows PowerShell. I'm not sure what this means but hopefully that helps.
Droptop Four
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

@Viriginityrocks: Hmm, I just made shortcuts to all those programs you mentioned, and the icons worked fine for me, so I am not sure what is going on.

@eclectic-tech: Could you try this version: EDIT - Removed this temporary version.
You don't need to do the DrWatson stuff with this version.

-Brian
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

@eclectic-tech: Could you try this version:[file...d]
You don't need to do the DrWatson stuff with this version.

-Brian
Better, BUT no cigars yet :)

This time when the skin stopped displaying the indexes and path, I COULD access the rainmeter icon, open and operate other skins, access the log, etc. basically do everything normally UNTIL I tried to refresh or close the fileview skin. At that point, rainmeter crashed and a report was prepared to send to MS.

The symptom and actions I took have been the same; selected drive C:, scrolled to Windows and selected that folder, scrolled down 20~30 times then indexes display went blank, I could select previous folder, which took me to the highest level (not back to C:...) and I could select any of the drives there, and see the previous folder icon only. As long I just clicked forward and back, the rest of raimeter still functioned (that is different from last time).

To further test, I navigated the skin using the mouse button commands, moved to the system32 folder and clicked like a "maniac"... I was not able to cause it to fail... I then scrolled 2 times in the same "system32" folder and the index and path display went blank (failed)...

Sorry to have to give you bad news. If I am the only one experiencing this, then we may just want to move on and see what happens. I am willing to test as many times as you need, but I do not want you to get frustrated, especially if it turns out to be something on my system... I have only dropbox, boinc, and MS security essentials running in addition to the normal system processes. I have tried with most or all of these disabled, and they did not seem to effect it.

EDIT: I was able to cause the skin to lose index and path display by clicking the PAGE DOWN rapidly while navigating the WINDOWS folder (303 folders, 81 files)... so it does it with both mouse scrolls and mouse clicks on my system... someday I will have good news! :(
Virginityrocks

Post by Virginityrocks »

I think you should send him your computer and have him work on it from there.
Droptop Four