It is currently April 20th, 2024, 2:43 am

multiFEED - supercharged RSS feed reader

RSS, ATOM and other feeds, GMail, Stocks, any information retrieved from the internet
slartibartfast

multiFEED - supercharged RSS feed reader

Post by slartibartfast »

multiFEED is a new take on Rainmeter RSS feed skins. Unlike all the other RSS skins I’ve been able to find, multiFEED uses a single one column skin surface to display up to fifty headlines (items) per feed from up to ten individual feeds. Skin variants allow choosing from six to twenty items per page. multiFEED can be extended for more than ten feeds and/or more than twenty items per page with just a text editor and fairly simple code changes.

http://limeycanuck.deviantart.com/

This is my first "serious" Rainmeter skin, but I think it's a good one. Hope you agree.
Last edited by slartibartfast on December 15th, 2012, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnBurns

Re: multiFEED - supercharged RSS feed reader

Post by JohnBurns »

Very nicely done....using it now. Thanks.
Windows 10 Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.870)
44))Realtime: Windows Defender, McAfee Total Access-Total Protection, Malwarebytes, WiseVector, HMP Alert, UAC Highest Level
OnDemand: Adwcleaner, MRT, Emsisoft EEK
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

This skin causes Rainmeter to use about 90% of my dual-core CPU from the moment I load it. When I have time, I'll take a look at the code and try to figure out what the cause might be.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Kaelri wrote:This skin causes Rainmeter to use about 90% of my dual-core CPU from the moment I load it. When I have time, I'll take a look at the code and try to figure out what the cause might be.
Wow, that's odd. Just checked on my Intel dual core laptop and it's running at about 10-12% CPU usage, with the Rainmeter process showing 01 CPU. My AMD quad core desktop is cruising along at 3-4% CPU, with the Rainmeter process showing 00 CPU. Both PCs are running Win7 Ultimate x64.

Wonder what's different about your system?

UPDATE: Just did a skin refresh on my laptop and CPU jumped to 100% for about 10 seconds while multiFEED parsed the seven feeds I'm following, then dropped back down to about 10% as before. Are you sure all the feeds you have configured are downloading Ok? Last week one of my feeds went down for a few days and the associated WebParser measure hung up till it timed out.

UPDATE-UPDATE: multiFEED version 2.0 is out which solves the CPU load issue completely.
Last edited by slartibartfast on December 22nd, 2012, 3:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I think it is just something with the initial load of the skin, while it goes out and gets all the feed info. My CPU basically went to 85%, and Rainmeter became pretty unresponsive, for about 5-6 seconds, then it settled down and went back to pretty much normal. If I refresh the skin, it goes crazy again for about 5-6 seconds.