It is currently September 29th, 2024, 11:27 pm

Can Rainmeter be Adapted as an OS?

General topics related to Rainmeter.
Quill

Can Rainmeter be Adapted as an OS?

Post by Quill »

I just found out about Rainmeter the other day and I find it pretty interesting. I'm curious whether or not it would be possible to somehow change Rainmeter into a fairly light-weight OS?

Also, does it have any touch screen support for tablets or anything like that?
Last edited by Quill on December 1st, 2012, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Can Rainmeter be Adapted as an OS?

Post by jsmorley »

Just what the world needs... ;-)

Seriously, uhm... no. Rainmeter is tied at the DNA level with Windows, and is not intended to duplicate, much less replace the OS functionality provided by Windows. It is mostly just a way to add some very spiffy "widgets" to your desktop, that you have complete control over as far as what they do and how they look.

As far as touch screen, there is no specific functionality that Rainmeter provides. It should work fine with a touch interface, in the sense that the touches are interpreted as mouse actions. Things that are not, like pinch gestures to shrink or grow, would not even be seen by Rainmeter.
Quill

Post by Quill »

That's what I wanted to know. I just wondered if, since Rainmeter is based on GNU, Linux act as the base and Rainmeter would be more of the GUI.
smurfier

Post by smurfier »

The GNU that is associated with Rainmeter is not the Linux OS, it is the license that it uses.
GitHub | DeviantArt | Tumblr
This is the song that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. Some people started singing it not knowing what it was, and they'll continue singing it forever just because . . .
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Quill wrote:That's what I wanted to know. I just wondered if, since Rainmeter is based on GNU, Linux act as the base and Rainmeter would be more of the GUI.
GNU is just a licensing agreement for open source software, and doesn't in and of itself point to any particular operating system. In any case, Rainmeter is very much Windows based, and it is unlikely to be ported to any unix/linux environment. Even in the Widows world, we have no plans to extend Rainmeter into any kind of "shell replacement" although we may nibble at the edges of some additional functionality associated with the shell over time.
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

[nitpick]GNU is an OS, not a license. The GNU GPL, on the other hand, is a license.[/nitpick]
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

poiru wrote:[nitpick]GNU is an OS, not a license. The GNU GPL, on the other hand, is a license.[/nitpick]
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Post by MerlinTheRed »

Also, GNU is Not Unix.
Have more fun creating skins with Sublime Text 2 and the Rainmeter Package!