It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:37 pm

PerfMon and PowerPlugin giving weird values

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
TheFlyingFish

PerfMon and PowerPlugin giving weird values

Post by TheFlyingFish »

I'm having a strange problem with the PerfMon plugin. I have a simple script set up to measure my CPU clock frequency (using the % of Maximum Frequency counter under "Processor Information" in PerfMon) and report it in a string, but it's not displaying things the way I would expect it to.

The skin itself is as follows:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
BackgroundMode=2
SolidColor=0,0,0,128
DynamicWindowSize=1

;---Measures-------------------

[MeasureCPUFrequency]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=PerfMon
PerfMonObject="Processor Information"
PerfMonCounter="% of Maximum Frequency"
PerfMonInstance="_Total"

;---Meters----------------------

[MeterCPUFrequency]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasureCPUFrequency
X=0
Y=0
StringAlign=LEFT
FontFace=Tahoma
FontSize=10
FontColor=255,255,255,160
AntiAlias=1
Text="CPU Frequency: %1"
The problem: Most of the time the meter just sticks at 0, but occasionally (about once every 20 seconds) it pops up to an absurd reading: 18446744073709552000. Sometimes, immediately before or after it shows this, it will show a more normal reading, like "48" or "34". That doesn't happen all the time, though. The weird thing is, when it's reading haywire like that, 18446744073709552000 seems to be the only value it shows. As far as I can tell, it never shows anything other than that weird number, 0, or a normal reading between 0 and 100. If I look in PerfMon itself, it shows normal values (CPU runs around 50%, max freq, jumping to 100% for short periods.) I'm running Windows 8, by the way, if that makes any difference.

I've also tried using the Power plugin to measure CPU frequency, but I'm experiencing a different problem there. The power plugin will display a CPU frequency that more or less agrees with what Windows Task Manager shows, but only very broadly. It appears to be rounded to the nearest 500 MHz or so. That is, if I'm using PowerPlugin and PowerState=MHz, it will show either 1200, 1900, or 2300. Task Manager will report the frequency as 1.21GHz, or 1.17GHz, or 1.33GHz, but PowerPlugin just sticks at 1200 MHz. Oh, occasionally it will report 2301 MHz instead of 2300.

Am I doing something wrong, or is my computer actually completely wacko?
TheFlyingFish

Re: PerfMon and PowerPlugin giving weird values

Post by TheFlyingFish »

Anyone?