dv-ent

Rainmeter on Windows RT/Surface?

Post by dv-ent »

i take it will work just like on a pc ?
jsmorley
Developer

Re: rainmeter on surface tablet ?

Post by jsmorley »

dv-ent wrote:i take it will work just like on a pc ?
I doubt it. Doesn't the surface tablet only use ARM / Metro apps?
lysy1993lbn

Post by lysy1993lbn »

Surface Pro is just like normal PC, it would run..

As for surface with Windows RT.. As for now, No. (like jsmorley said, only metro/modern apps)
But is probably only matter of time when someone figure it out how to 'jailbreak' it.
"Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."
my deviantART | Alternative Rainmeter tray icons
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Post by MerlinTheRed »

I think it's not about jailbreaking with Windows RT. Normal apps just won't run on it as far as I understand. The operating system just isn't capable of it.
Have more fun creating skins with Sublime Text 2 and the Rainmeter Package!
poiru
Developer

Re: Rainmeter on Windows RT/Surface?

Post by poiru »

MerlinTheRed wrote:I think it's not about jailbreaking with Windows RT. Normal apps just won't run on it as far as I understand. The operating system just isn't capable of it.
Windows RT can definitely run applications like mspaint.exe and wordpad.exe, so it is capable at least to some extent. The problem is that we cannot compile desktop applications that run on ARM with Visual Studio 2012 (as far as I know).
lysy1993lbn wrote:But is probably only matter of time when someone figure it out how to 'jailbreak' it.
Even if it is "jailbroken", you cannot run normal 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x86-64) binaries on ARM without an emulator. The 32-bit version of Rainmeter, for example, is specifically compiled for processors using the x86 architecture (which ARM processors do not natively support). To run on ARM, we would need to specifically compile a different version of Rainmeter for the ARM architecture (which is not possible right now).