It is currently September 29th, 2024, 7:24 pm

Linux Rainmeter

General topics related to Rainmeter.
UnforgivenRevival

Linux Rainmeter

Post by UnforgivenRevival »

Has anyone actually packaged Rainmeter to work with linux(Not using WINE) yet? Just curious... I Dual booted Linux Mint 13(Cinnamon) with my Windows 8(Pro/Media Center) installation today and was wondering. Would be great if someone has. :D
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Linux Rainmeter

Post by jsmorley »

UnforgivenRevival wrote:Has anyone actually packaged Rainmeter to work with linux(Not using WINE) yet? Just curious... I Dual booted Linux Mint 13(Cinnamon) with my Windows 8(Pro/Media Center) installation today and was wondering. Would be great if someone has. :D
No. Rainmeter really has nothing to do with linux, and it would be a complete re-write of the entire application to "port" it in any useful way, as it uses Windows API's and other structures to do everything from all the measurements to the way skins are displayed on the screen.

This is not likely to happen anytime soon.
UnforgivenRevival

Post by UnforgivenRevival »

jsmorley wrote: No. Rainmeter really has nothing to do with linux, and it would be a complete re-write of the entire application to "port" it in any useful way, as it uses Windows API's and other structures to do everything from all the measurements to the way skins are displayed on the screen.

This is not likely to happen anytime soon.
Yeah I didnt think anyone did, But had to ask. The first thing I noticed when loading the desktop in Mint was OMG! No Rainmeter! :(
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

UnforgivenRevival wrote: Yeah I didnt think anyone did, But had to ask. The first thing I noticed when loading the desktop in Mint was OMG! No Rainmeter! :(
I can commiserate with you; I run several other linux distos and use Conky on one of them, but it is not the same, or as good looking as Rainmeter!! 8-)

Guess I'll need to remember to boot into Windows if I want all this fun stuff! :lol:
DigitalSpectrum

Post by DigitalSpectrum »

Wine 1.6 has been released and one of the new features is alpha transparancy support.

I have tried it and can confirm transparency is working.

Here is a screenshot on Ubuntu 13.04:
linux.jpg
On Ubuntu you can install wine 1.6 from the ppa by typing:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine1.6
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Thanks DigitalSpectrum!
I'll have to check the new Wine version!