It is currently April 27th, 2024, 4:56 pm

Two small additions?

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
CybOrSpasm

Two small additions?

Post by CybOrSpasm »

Two small things I would like to see...
The ability for Rainmeter to report the cursors coordinates on the screen. Reason being, for many years I have used a program called RightClick (made by Stardock) that pops up a user customizable menu wherever you right click on the desktop. This was a $20 program that could be easily done in RM if it had the coordinate ability.

Secondly, the ability to set a background image inside a string meter as opposed to having to create a second meter for it. This would make a menu consisting of 10 items, require just 10 meters instead of 20...

For example, I am trying to create a "Tab menu" that slides down from the top of the screen. I could make a predefined background image that would contain my 10 menu choices, but what happens if I want to add an eleventh? The other option is to make a separate top, middle, and bottom graphic, but that is where you end up with a separate background meter for each menu meter entry. Clear as mud?
Alex Becherer

Re: Two small additions?

Post by Alex Becherer »

none of these additions is small.

on your menu background: have a look at the scale margins setting for an image meter: http://rainmeter.net/cms/Meters-Image_beta
CybOrSpasm

Post by CybOrSpasm »

Ire-read the link you gave, but still can't see how that applies to what I was talking about, so perhaps I wasn't being clear.

For the cursor suggestion, what I need to do is be able to create a meter something like so:

Code: Select all

[MeterMousePosition]
Meter=Image
ImageName=Background.png
RightMouseUpAction=[!ShowMeter #MouseX# #MouseY# Popup.ini]
I would think Windows must store that information somewhere that we could pull it from? Anyway, wishful thinking...

As for the other issue of having an Image= inside of a String meter, I was just looking for a way to make creating a self adjusting menu list a bit easier... I can't give an example, because after 2 days trying to get one to work, I gave up...
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Post by MerlinTheRed »

Sadly Rainmeter can't know the exact location on screen where you clicked. I'm not 100% sure but I think this is a limitation of the graphics/UI engine it uses.

As for the menu: Do I understand correctly that you want to specify a background that is shared by multiple string meters and stretches to envelop all of them? I think this is a fairly specific task and it's not worth to add extra built-in functionality for it. As Alex said you can easily accomplish this by using a single Image meter with the ScaleMargins settings for the borders
Have more fun creating skins with Sublime Text 2 and the Rainmeter Package!
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

MerlinTheRed wrote:Sadly Rainmeter can't know the exact location on screen where you clicked. I'm not 100% sure but I think this is a limitation of the graphics/UI engine it uses.
Actually, it has nothing to do with graphics engine (currently GDI+).

As of right now, there are no plans to include the current mouse position as built-in variables, but this might change in the future.

-Brian
ikarus1969

Post by ikarus1969 »

CybOrSpasm wrote:Secondly, the ability to set a background image inside a string meter as opposed to having to create a second meter for it.
I think he means: for a STRING-meter you can define a background-color with SolidColor=...
He wants to be able to define a background-image as well, maybe with something like SolidBackground=#@#BackgroundImage.png or something similar.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Brian wrote: Actually, it has nothing to do with graphics engine (currently GDI+).

As of right now, there are no plans to include the current mouse position as built-in variables, but this might change in the future.

-Brian
Trouble with mouse position in most cases is that any result will be hopelessly behind reality. By the time you click, Rainmeter registers the mouse location and actions are taken on the next update based on it, the mouse could and almost certainly will be someplace completely different. Except for very limited use cases, I can only see it being a laggy, frustrating function.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

ikarus1969 wrote:I think he means: for a STRING-meter you can define a background-color with SolidColor=...
He wants to be able to define a background-image as well, maybe with something like SolidBackground=#@#BackgroundImage.png or something similar.
I really don't see this adding any new functionality that we don't already have. Sure you might have to have 2 meters to accomplish the same task, but it can be done relatively easy.

jsmorley wrote:Trouble with mouse position in most cases is that any result will be hopelessly behind reality. By the time you click, Rainmeter registers the mouse location and actions are taken on the next update based on it, the mouse could and almost certainly will be someplace completely different. Except for very limited use cases, I can only see it being a laggy, frustrating function.
Right, that is why I said this isn't any plans to include this. I just hate saying that something isn't possible/practical just because we haven't found the right way to implement it yet. :D

-Brian