It is currently April 28th, 2024, 9:05 am

Network Problem

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
danpotter

Network Problem

Post by danpotter »

Hello Sir/Mam

Im using windows 7 ultimate 32 bit..and recently i installed rainmeter 2.3 in my computer

I found a Bug in rainmeter,that is..

In the network panel,the upload and download is happening even though after disconnecting net.that is,even though the net is not connected,the upload and download is going on...

check the image if u dont understand my problem..,

Basically,i have Download limit for my net.If rainmeter do the things like this,my net usage wil be wasted

I want to say few points..

1)I have Download limit,so even Mbs cost me very much and cant i avoid even that loss in Rainmeter???

2) in above image it is only when net is not connected,but when net is connected the upload and download is going to 600kbs to 1 mb/s in thatway also im loosing..,

3)My computer is not connected to any other computer and modem is directly connected to my computer

and moreover..,i found one thing,..when i unplug modem no bytes transfer is going,but when i plug,again transfer is starting..,so it is proved that it is using net...so is there anyway to get help with this issues..???

Please help me with this issue...
Kaelri
Developer

Re: Network Problem

Post by Kaelri »

This is normal. There is always a small amount of data that is sent between your computer and your modem when it is connected. This appears in Windows as "network activity," but since it is not being sent over the Internet, it will not count against your bandwidth limit. :)
danpotter

Post by danpotter »

@Kaelri

Hello Kaelri,im really happy to receive that message from you...

Please clarify and confirm me that there will not be any bandwidth loss for me by using Rainmeter.

I know you already clarified,but if u confirm me now,i can happily install rainmeter :D
UnforgivenRevival

Post by UnforgivenRevival »

The only time Rainmeter will use any "Internet download/upload" bandwidth is when parsing an rss feed or something similar. Although, Usually something like that uses very little of your total bandwidth allowance.

I have a Hughesnet crappy 350 mb a day limit myself, and parse 3 different rss feeds(updated every 5 mins), A 3 day weather feed(updated every 15 mins), A gmail notification parser(updated every 5 mins), And a radar image(updated every 10 mins), With MINIMAL bandwidth usage.

Other than stuff that parses webpages, Rainmeter has no use for Internet Bandwidth, And doesnt use any.

EDIT: If I was to guess a number on how much all of this uses, I would say between 0-10 MBs every 24 hours. Which is basically nothing.

EDIT2: Forgot to mention, I even managed to parse a feed to my modem to see how much allowance we have left for the day, And that doesnt use any internet usage because its going to a LAN IP, instead of a webpage out in the world. It sure is handy on keeping track of how much you have used. You possibly could do the same if you wanted.
danpotter

Post by danpotter »

@unforgevienrevival

hey really thank you verymuch for ur post...,Moreover,i dont have any rss related things but still uploads and downloads are going on..,this may me be happening as u and kaelri said,the data transfer within Computer..,but not on net...

STILL STILL STILL.....

@kaelri and unfogivne...

is there any way that we can restrict the rainmeter to use Internet???..if there is such way,then i think its best to follow that way..please tell me if there is any such way...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Rainmeter only "uses the internet" when you tell it to. If you have a skin that retrieves information from the internet, like a weather skin or RSS feed, then Rainmeter will go out and get the information on some periodic basis you can set in the skin. If you don't have any skins that use the WebParser or Ping plugins, then Rainmeter could care less if you even have any internet connection and will never touch it.

Caveat. When Rainmeter is first "loaded", it does attempt to check on the internet to our site, to see if you are running the most current version of the software. That is only done when Rainmeter starts, and uses almost no bandwidth.

And finally, no. There is no way to restrict access to the internet in Rainmeter, other than 1) Don't use any skins that make use of the WebParser plugin, or 2) Block Rainmeter in your Firewall.
Kaelri
Developer

Post by Kaelri »

I think I need to clarify something: the "Upload" and "Download" activity shown in that Network skin is the total activity for your entire system, not just Rainmeter. For example, if you are downloading a large file in your web browser, that activity will be displayed in Rainmeter. It does not mean that Rainmeter itself is using all of that bandwidth.

As these others have explained, Rainmeter only uses the Internet if a specific skin requires it. If you do not use such a skin, then Rainmeter will not impact your bandwidth.
danpotter

Post by danpotter »

ok,now i have some doubt..,while browsing about blocking a program from using internet,i found this..

Code: Select all

From start menu, search for "Firewall" and select Windows Firewall with Advanced Security

Choose Outbound Rules from the tree at the left.

Choose New Rule... from the menu at the right.

New Outbound Rule Wizard opens. This is really easy now:

a. Select Program as rule type.

b. Select the program's EXE file.

c. Choose Block the connection.

Choose the profile this rule applies to. If in doubt, select all three.

Add the descriptive name (you may want to delete this rule later).
can i apply this on Rainmeter and moreover if i use a theme that uses internet,can this trick block it from using internet??
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

danpotter wrote:ok,now i have some doubt..,while browsing about blocking a program from using internet,i found this..

Code: Select all

From start menu, search for "Firewall" and select Windows Firewall with Advanced Security

Choose Outbound Rules from the tree at the left.

Choose New Rule... from the menu at the right.

New Outbound Rule Wizard opens. This is really easy now:

a. Select Program as rule type.

b. Select the program's EXE file.

c. Choose Block the connection.

Choose the profile this rule applies to. If in doubt, select all three.

Add the descriptive name (you may want to delete this rule later).
can i apply this on Rainmeter and moreover if i use a theme that uses internet,can this trick block it from using internet??
Yes, blocking Rainmeter in your firewall exactly that way will keep it from interacting with the internet. I must say however a couple of things.

First, Rainmeter only talks to the internet in any case if you run skins that need the internet. These are generally weather skins, RSS feeds, and things like that. Basically, any skin that has the word "WebParser" in the code is one that is using the internet. Just don't load them. Problem solved.

Second, if you do block Rainmeter in your firewall, and still run skins that try to access the internet with WebParser, be aware that not only will the skins not function correctly and display big empty spots or worse, but Rainmeter is going to pretty much constantly produce "Can't connect" error messages in the Rainmeter log. You will also be using system CPU time having Rainmeter try over and over to do something it can't. Not much mind you, but I would find this a very inefficient and annoying solution.

Here is your solution.

1) Don't load any skins that use the WebParser or Ping plugin measures.
2) In Manage / Settings from the context menu, uncheck the box "Check for updates".

Now Rainmeter will not touch the internet at all.

Final note: If you are running a skin that is using the NetIn/NetOut/NetTotal measures to show network activity, be aware that those measures DO NOT create any network traffic themselves. They are just watching data coming in and out of the NIC (network interface card) on your PC, and telling you how much traffic your PC is seeing / creating. They are in no way connecting to your network, they don't know you have an internet connection. They are simply talking to your hardware, to see how much information is coming in and out of it. Even in the most "network stingy" scenario, skins that use Net measures to monitor network activity are a good thing, not bad. They don't create ANY traffic themselves, but can alert you to something else that is.
danpotter

Post by danpotter »

@jsmorley

hey your way of explaining this thing is really awsome..,thank you verymuch for spending time for my post..,

i did some tests and i too found normal rainmeter is not using any internet,it just showing the data transfer between my modem and pc :)

now finally i would like to end this topic by asking a small favour from you people...

as it is found that i shouldnt use theme that uses net,please suggest me some best themes list that which dont have stuff that uses my net..you people are verymuch aware of the themes,thatswhy im asking you..please help me..,then we can happily close this topic.. :)