It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:08 pm

Software Reviews

Post reviews, recommendations and questions about other software.
iUnify

Software Reviews

Post by iUnify »

Does anyone have a recommendation for "the best" place for reliable and accurate Software Reviews that you can trust.

All too often I am looking into a Software Application in an area I haven't ever explored before. That makes it hard to know which App is the best for me to get because there are so many choices that claim to be the best. Google just brings up download.com, ZDNET, tucows or one of those BEST-THIS-TYPE-OF-SOFTWARE-REVIEWS.COM and it will list a comparison of all the (lets say) PDF Software. It is OBVIOUSLY made to favor a particular company... you even see 2 or three of them for the same kind of product. Ha. When I was ALWAYS looking for "the best" Internet security suite I'd always find those sites and one would show all the softwares and Kapersky is SO much better. The next completely contradicted it and said ESET... and you'd never even see how many different sites there were until you learned of a new product that interested you and added that to your search query. BOOM. Another pops up. "Best Security Software 2009" ..."And the contenders....blah, blah, blah...ENDPOINT BY FAR WINS!"

Well... that's enough of that.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me out on this one? Great, trustworthy, acurate & reliable Software Reviews.
sgtevmckay

Re: Software Reviews

Post by sgtevmckay »

I will tell you up front:
There is no almighty site.

Caveat Emptor

Utilize your own judgment, do your home work, never depend on one site.
Some sites are self manipulated, but there are a number of legitimate sites that have honest reviews, there are some that have preferential reviews based on income, there are those that are out right lies.

Always gather as much information from as many sites as possible.
Just no there is no one authority on any one software.
That would be like to going to Microsoft for a recommendation on a Linux distro.

Do your own home work, but usually I start with CNET and Downloads.com for public reviews over editor reviews.
In my opinion these are the least influenced, but there is no such thing as an unbiased review for a software stand point.

Ultimately it is up to you to make a decision based on ads much information as possible
iUnify

Re: Software Reviews

Post by iUnify »

Hey JS! Yea, I know there is not one master site to rule them all... one master site to bind them... :shock: (he-he-he...) BUT I am just looking for a few different starting points.

I usually go to cnet download.com as well and than just google the crap out of what I'm looking for with different ways of phraseing my question.... wiki has good stuff too. And just because it's there I sometimes compare tucows and zdnet to download.com- even those crap sites I mentioned.

There are 10 bazillion sites on the internet and I've likely seen .000001% of those sites... that's why I like getting suggestions from people, especially when I find a community where I believe there are some bright minds to put in their 2 cents.

I've found some of the best sites by asking others, being suggested by someone or doing google image searches for my topic - many sites that don't come up in general searches come up that way.

Anywho- just trying to find a few more options, especially because I'm in the middle of resorting my External Drive and getting rid of stuff I don't need, sorting through multiple programs that do the same thing, and investigating the best way to sort a music collection that really is the "one to rule them all". ;)

Thanks for the advice, again. Have a good day, man! later!!

(PS... don't show anyone this private message... I don't want it going around I said the phrase "anywho". It'd kill my rep. :lol: