It is currently April 16th, 2024, 5:34 pm

Inconsolata: font for coding

Post reviews, recommendations and questions about other software.
Alex Becherer

Inconsolata: font for coding

Post by Alex Becherer »

i almost forgot about this font. i had it on my XP desktop, and when i switched to Windows 7 i just used the Consolas font that came with it as it is really good.

but recently i remembered it and downloaded it again: http://levien.com/type/myfonts/inconsolata.html

and wow ... it is still the best i have ever used. take my advice and try it and please let me know if you have an even better one.
Xi.Cynx

Re: Inconsolata: font for coding

Post by Xi.Cynx »

I tried downloading this font to see how it would look. I don't know if it is just my monitors, but the letters didn't seems very sharp. I was honestly hoping for something that looked very good. But I honestly use the font Verdana with a font size of 8. It is very clean, very crisp and you can fit a lot on the screen. That is my personal favorite to use from notepad++.
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you...said the rapist

Main Rig: i7 4770k | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | 16GB DDR3-1600 | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO | EVGA GTX 780 | Nexus 5000
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Post by MerlinTheRed »

Inconsolata doesn't work on my pc either. I don't know if it's got something to do with my settings but there are a lot of fonts I downloaded that look kind of too fat and jagged.
Have more fun creating skins with Sublime Text 2 and the Rainmeter Package!
Alex Becherer

Post by Alex Becherer »

you guys use font-smoothing (ClearType)?
Xi.Cynx

Post by Xi.Cynx »

Sure do, it's enabled by default on Windows 7 :thumbup:
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you...said the rapist

Main Rig: i7 4770k | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | 16GB DDR3-1600 | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO | EVGA GTX 780 | Nexus 5000
Alex Becherer

Post by Alex Becherer »

Untitled-1.png
here's how it looks on mine. Inconsolata on the left and Consolas on the right.

but if your goal is to fit a lot an the screen then a monospaced font isn't for you anyways ;)
Alex Becherer

Post by Alex Becherer »

i forgot: i am using a different font smoothing on my system, that probably makes the difference: https://code.google.com/p/mactype/
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Post by MerlinTheRed »

Anyone who uses a non-monospace font for coding is a masochist.

This is what the font looks like on my machine:

I just installed MacType (I think...) It's chinese or japanese and I have no idea what I just clicked "Yes" for. I'll restart my pc and hope nothing bad happened ;) I don't even know where it was installed and how to access the settings...

EDIT: After restart, nothing changed. Could you shed some light at the install procedure or where to find info on it?
Alex Becherer

Post by Alex Becherer »

it's probably not running.
run MacType Tray from the Start Menu. after that you can configure it from the tray icon's context menu (in English).

close and re-open applications after you started it, to apply changes. (might not be needed)
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Post by MerlinTheRed »

Apparently I didn't install it at all... Now it works and looks great. Thanks for sharing this. Finally I can try all those monospace fonts i downloaded and never used because they looked ugly on my system.