It is currently April 28th, 2024, 5:10 am

Recycle bin

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Elric

Recycle bin

Post by Elric »

If I use the beta version of 2.3 the recycle bin works and accurately updates when you put something in the bin. But if I use the final version 2.3 or 2.4 beta the recycle bin does not update when you add something to the recycle bin. And it doesn't seem to matter what skin you are using. This is on a XP system with SP3 if that helps matters.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Recycle bin

Post by jsmorley »

Elric wrote:If I use the beta version of 2.3 the recycle bin works and accurately updates when you put something in the bin. But if I use the final version 2.3 or 2.4 beta the recycle bin does not update when you add something to the recycle bin. And it doesn't seem to matter what skin you are using. This is on a XP system with SP3 if that helps matters.
If the bin is empty and you add something to it, does it change to show that it is full?
NN1

Post by NN1 »

Hello !

I'm also having the same bug with the recycle bin. If it's empty and I initially add something in the bin, it shows the correct # of items and size, but doesn't update the # of items or size after I add more stuff to recycle. The commands work fine though. Same behaviour in any skin that has it, so it's not related to the .inc/.ini files.

My Rainmeter version is Beta 2.4.0 r1617, I use Windows XP SP3.

Oh and by the way - just discovered this great software and community. Keep up the great work !

Hopefully someone can fix that bug in the next Beta for recycle bin.
thatsIch

Post by thatsIch »

for me it _does_ work
just deleted some stuff with different showcases:
  • empty bin > deleted
  • empty bin > nothing deleted
  • full bin > deleted
  • full bin > nothing deleted
on every case I got the desired result shown.

System : win7

Would you mind sharing your skins to exclude this option?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

It is a known issue with RecycleBin. At this time there is no good way to fully address it without causing the plugin to have a really terrible impact on CPU when the bin has a lot of items in it.

We continue to keep this on our internal issues list.
NN1

Post by NN1 »

Hello thatsIch and jsmorley,

Thanks very much for your replies. :welcome:

I just tried again today using several random recycle bin skins, sometimes alone, sometimes together. Note that they all show the bug, even if they are used alone without any other skin loaded, or all together.

The bug is not linked to when you have a lot of items, it's simply that the amounts don't seem to refresh correctly, even if you add just a few items.

Again, just for info if it can help to find the bug :

The bin is empty. I first add two items of let's say 2 MB total. All is shown correctly. No problem.

The bug only starts when you add more stuff. So if I add three more items totalizing an additional 3 MB with the two previous ones, it continues to show two items, 2 MB total (instead of 5 items, 5 MB total). And it will remain that way for any additional stuff I add to recycle.

Here's something that might help though as a clue to find the bug, that I just discovered :

If only one recycle bin is loaded, then when I right click on the recycle bin skin and choose "refresh", then the skin shows the correct amounts after the refresh. But ! Not if there are two recycle bins loaded, then the refresh command on any recycle bin skin is stuck and do nothing, with incorrect amounts staying shown of course.

Thanks in advance to any who might find the bug and fix the next beta version.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Like I said, :-) we know about it and it won't be fixed for the next beta.
NN1

Post by NN1 »

No problem, and keep up the great work, I think Rainmeter is great. :welcome:
thatsIch

Post by thatsIch »

haha nice to know
so for the future: dont have 2 bins =)
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

This issue (with Windows XP only) has been fixed for the next 2.4 beta release :)