It is currently April 27th, 2024, 12:06 pm

Backing up Themes

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
AtlBo

Backing up Themes

Post by AtlBo »

I have updated to version 2.3 as of a few days ago, prior to adding a new theme called Omnimo. Question is will a reinstallation of Rainmeter along with a restoration of Documents and Settings in XP make all the saved themes available for use in case I should need a new hard drive or get a new machine?

Right now, if I close Omnimo and open another theme, when I open Omnimo again, it's back to the default or original settings. What I'm really looking for most is a way to restore Omnimo with all the settings I have changed. I have made a significant number of changes, and I would like to be able to select/open the theme with the changes any time...

One other question. I may have used the wrong settings when I saved the theme. To save all the settings, including the wallpaper, should I just check the "Include current wallpaper" check box in the save portion of the themes tab of the manager before saving? The other two, "Save as empty theme" and "Exclude unused skins", have me confused...
AtlBo

Re: Backing up Themes

Post by AtlBo »

For anyone out there, this is what I'm doing with this:

1. Click RM systray icon->Open Manager
2. Select Themes tab
3. Check "Include current wallpaper" (leave other two unchecked or uncheck them)
4. Name your altered version of the default theme in the box below the check boxes
5. Click "Save"

Backing up Documents and Settings in XP (Vista/7?) backs up all the Rainmeter configs and theme files. I have no confirmation, but I suspect that backing up all Rainmeter folders in the D&S tree would accomplish the same thing for those who don't regularly back up D&S. It's worth the effort (essential) for anyone who would like a Rainmeter personalized/customized desktop...

Please post any additions/corrections...thanks
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Backing up Themes

Post by jsmorley »

AtlBo wrote:For anyone out there, this is what I'm doing with this:

1. Click RM systray icon->Open Manager
2. Select Themes tab
3. Check "Include current wallpaper" (leave other two unchecked or uncheck them)
4. Name your altered version of the default theme in the box below the check boxes
5. Click "Save"

Backing up Documents and Settings in XP (Vista/7?) backs up all the Rainmeter configs and theme files. I have no confirmation, but I suspect that backing up all Rainmeter folders in the D&S tree would accomplish the same thing for those who don't regularly back up D&S. It's worth the effort (essential) for anyone who would like a Rainmeter personalized/customized desktop...

Please post any additions/corrections...thanks
Themes are actually saved in C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter in a folder Themes\. You might want to get that as well when backing up. I would get the entire ..Roaming\Rainmeter folder.