It is currently April 27th, 2024, 4:58 pm

RMSKIN Files Not Recognized By Windows

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
bluemartian

RMSKIN Files Not Recognized By Windows

Post by bluemartian »

I've just downloaded and installed the latest Rainmeter 2.3.3 and grabbed the rmskins for the 3 recommended skin suites. After installing and running Rainmeter with its default skin, I then tried to install the other 3 but noticed that the rmskin icons are just blank generic icons. If I try to run them, Windows says it does not know what program is used for them. I browsed manually to rainmeter.exe in its installed folder and tried again but now get an error about rainmeter.ini not being writeable and it lists the location of rainmeter.ini as being where the rmskin I clicked on is but there is no rainmeter.ini file there - just the rmskin file. Each time I try this, another instance of Rainmeter loads and I see the welcome tooltip and a new icon in the systray.

I tried uninstalling Rainmeter and reinstalling as an admin. No joy - same behavior. I tried manually unpacking the rmskin file with 7-Zip which works fine but I'm obviously not putting things where they should go. This is frustrating the hell out of me. Seems like a simple file association problem but I'm stumped. I'm running Win7 64-bit, btw. Thanks for any advice!
bluemartian

Re: RMSKIN Files Not Recognized By Windows

Post by bluemartian »

Okay...never mind.

I finally spotted skininstaller.exe and got the association made manually. Why the RM installer did not set up this association during initial installation, I'm not sure. But got it working at last. Sorry for being snarky...been a frustrating hour/day.