It is currently April 27th, 2024, 8:07 am

[Please help] Rainmeter.ini is not writable

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
bashet24

[Please help] Rainmeter.ini is not writable

Post by bashet24 »

hi, im new here. I downloaded Rainmeter 2.3, and installed it. After installing, I got a message saying:
"Rainmeter.ini is not writable. Setting will not be saved. Make sure that the file is not set as read-only and that the folder is writable. the file is located at:
C:\Users\Jay P. Amer\Application Data\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
" (that's the exact words)
I didn't mind the message because the installation was successful. But when I downloaded a skin that needs to be installed, I got a message again saying:
"Rainmeter.ini not found. Make sure that Rainmeter has been run at least one."

Please help me solve this problem... thank you
parasite64

Re: [Please help] Rainmeter.ini is not writable

Post by parasite64 »

Did you install the program with 'Run as administrator'?
[Aurora]
Kryptonite

Post by Kryptonite »

Hi bashet24 -

As ever with these things could be different issues but first things first;

Have you run the Rainmeter Program first? If not, then just doubleclick on the Rainmeter icon on your desktop to start the program. This may solve the issue but if not carry on reading below.

1). Do you have Administration rights for your computer because, if not, your computer may be blocking any changes to files.

2). Assuming you have Admin rights, then right click on the Rainmeter.ini file (in the location you gave) and then leftclick on properties. Make sure there's no tick next to the "Read Only" attributes box, if this is ticked remove it.

3). If none of the above works it may be a corrupt Rainmeter.ini file and may be better to do a fresh download and install again.

Just to clarify, have you managed to start Rainmeter and did the initial Rainmeter window load without any problem or did you receive the error message you mentioned?
bashet24

Post by bashet24 »

Kryptonite wrote:2). Assuming you have Admin rights, then right click on the Rainmeter.ini file (in the location you gave) and then leftclick on properties. Make sure there's no tick next to the "Read Only" attributes box, if this is ticked remove it.
that worked... thanks a lot :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I appreciate all the replies..