It is currently September 29th, 2024, 5:34 pm

Startup time on windows 8.

General topics related to Rainmeter.
kev360

Startup time on windows 8.

Post by kev360 »

Hello,

Since I installed windows 8 preview on my computer, it start verry quickly, but rainmeter start 2/3 seconds after I come to the desktop.
So I tried to change the startup mode, from shortcut in start menu, to scheduled task ... and it works great :D , rainmeter start instant.

I ask the question to Windows 8 owners, if they have the same problem.
If this is the case, offered an option in the installer to deploy this.

I did not create the post in bug section, because I dont think the problem comes from Rainmeter.

Sorry for my bad english. :oops:
poiru
Developer

Re: Start time on windows 8.

Post by poiru »

I'm going to install Windows 8 next week. I'll take a look then :)
Brian
Developer

Re: Startup time on windows 8.

Post by Brian »

I just installed Windows 8 on a spare system, and I too see the delay. However, I did notice the delay starts as soon as you log in, not just start the desktop. For instance, once logged in, if you immediately click the desktop, you see a 3-4 second delay until Rainmeter starts up. However, once you log in and mess around on the start screen, then click the desktop, Rainmeter is already loaded. So it seems to load the classic desktop in memory once you log in (it just doesn't show the desktop until you click on it).

I believe this is by design by Microsoft to make the desktop startup "faster" by waiting until everything is loaded before running 3rd-party apps.

-Brian
kev360

Post by kev360 »

Ok, I observed the same behavior in the first time but after changing the startup mode of Rainmeter to scheduled tasks, now once logged in the metro desktop I click on the desktop and rainmeter is already loaded.

Can you reproduce this ?

Thanks.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

I struggled to replicate this with a scheduled task on startup. Not sure if I was doing something wrong by selecting the incorrect option(s), or if there is a bug with my version of Windows 8. :oops:

Personally, I don't think there is much of problem here worth offering an option to install a task at startup or just doing the normal startup procedure. For me, it was at most a 3-4 second delay which really isn't too bad for my tastes. And when I don't immediately select the desktop mode once logged in, Rainmeter is already started once I do click on the desktop mode.

-Brian
kev360

Post by kev360 »

I agree with you, windows 8 is very capricious for the task's settings, and rainmeter doesn't start with some configurations.
I don't know the equivalent name english for the settings so I realized screenshot of my screen in french and as the button are at the same place you should be able to create the task with same parameters.
task.PNG
trigger.PNG
action.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

I tried these settings and unfortunately I am still not getting Rainmeter to instantly start at startup (there is still a 3-4 second delay).

From what I can tell, if you start up your computer and click on "desktop mode" as soon as possible, Rainmeter will take 3-4 seconds to load. However, if you go back to the start screen (metro screen) and then go back to "desktop mode", Rainmeter is already running. Even if you log off, then log back in, Rainmeter seems to be already loaded.

The problem seems to be when you restart your computer. Once the "start screen" starts, immediately click the "desktop mode" and Rainmeter takes 3-4 seconds to load no matter if you made a special task or just using the normal startup.

Are you restarting your computer to see if Rainmeter still has that delay? Or just logging out, then logging back in?

-Brian
kev360

Post by kev360 »

Yes, this is when I restart my computer that Rainmeter starts instantly, also I have a SSD it may be help.
Seahorse

Post by Seahorse »

Remind me what Windows 8 is supposed to improve on PCs exactly?
"Regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt

jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Seahorse wrote:Remind me what Windows 8 is supposed to improve on PCs exactly?
Don't be a Luddite... ;-)