It is currently April 24th, 2024, 12:08 pm

minia - Work-In-Progress

A package of skins with a "theme" or by a single author
MarcoPixel

minia - Work-In-Progress

Post by MarcoPixel »

Hey Guys,
this is my first Rainmeter Skin and i would like to get some critique and improvement requests.

My native language is german, so there may be some typos.

It includes:
Clock + Date
Weather (Google API)
System Monitor (CPU, RAM, HDD)
Application Launcher
Media Player (with NowPlaying)

RainInstaller (easy skin install)
A skin intro (for easy setup)
Easy Configuration Tool

Known Things:
No TextBoxes for Application Places RC1.1
"<< Media Player" in the Config Tool doesnt work RC1.1
Only English and German work for now, need some translators

When most of the things get fixed, ill upload them on my account on deviantart

Download:

1.0.0 https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27682432/Releases/minia_1.0.0.rmskin

I hope you like it and please give critism/requests for my skin :)

Greets,
Marco
Last edited by MarcoPixel on July 17th, 2012, 10:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
KreAch3R

Re: minia - Work-In-Progress

Post by KreAch3R »

In my opinion, it is an exceptional first skin. Well done. You seem to have grasp already the basic rainmeter logic, so I have one only picky suggestion; add BackgroundMode on your skins and/or Solidcolor=0,0,0,1 directly to your meters so that they are easily draggable, without losing any transparency.
Other than that it's modern, well written, and very beautiful. I really like the design of the options menu, too.

You have a really solid base here. It will be a very good suite.

P.S. Even if it isn't in it's final version, consider sharing your skin in .rmskin format. Saves a lot of clicks and makes more users try your skin.
Inactive, due to life changes. Send me a PM for any question.

Desktop DeviartArt
MarcoPixel

Post by MarcoPixel »

KreAch3R wrote:In my opinion, it is an exceptional first skin. Well done. You seem to have grasp already the basic rainmeter logic, so I have one only picky suggestion; add BackgroundMode on your skins and/or Solidcolor=0,0,0,1 directly to your meters so that they are easily draggable, without losing any transparency.
Other than that it's modern, well written, and very beautiful. I really like the design of the options menu, too.

You have a really solid base here. It will be a very good suite.

P.S. Even if it isn't in it's final version, consider sharing your skin in .rmskin format. Saves a lot of clicks and makes more users try your skin.
Thanks and great that you like it :) I do that with the background right after i write this. I maybe release later a better version with the backgrounds added.

Greets,
Marco
MarcoPixel

Post by MarcoPixel »

minia RC1.1 | Download

Added invisible backgrounds for better moving
Removed some Code Fragments from System.ini
Now with Rainstaller
Theme File (which autoaligns)
KreAch3R

Post by KreAch3R »

Everything is working, as far as I tested. I'm looking forward to the final version.
Inactive, due to life changes. Send me a PM for any question.

Desktop DeviartArt
MarcoPixel

Post by MarcoPixel »

Any skin wishes? Like Notes, Paper Bin etc.

Greets,
Marco
donutmtoazt

Post by donutmtoazt »

This is pretty great for your first skin! (Or just pretty great in general.)
Just a critique, and these are pretty minor from my first look at this:
  • -It would be great if the color scheme could have two values, one for the color of the bars and such, and another for the font, so that the theme could be used on a white desktop background.
    -The text boxes in the intro skin are kinda hard to work with. I've never personally worked with that plugin nor used a skin that had ever utilized it, but the font seemed to be the same color as the box, and so I couldn't read what I was entering.
    -Allowing the arrows in the intro skin to be clickable as well (this one is quite a minor problem, I just kept clicking them on accident and then moving to the text).
    -In the skin Other\config2, line 84, you seem to have the same arrow from config1, which doesn't serve any function, and commenting it out seem to fix the problem without causing any issues.
    -The Config skins could have an easier way to exit them, like an 'x' in the corner or sumthin'...
    -Typos in Resources\english.inc as far as lines 53 and 54, where weatherunit should be split as well as timeformat.
    -config1, line 368, should be #chooselang#, not #chooseunit#.
This is me being picky, because I really love where it's at right now and these minor changes would make it perfect. But as far as skin requests go, I can't think of anything to ask for without ruining the minimal feeling. Maybe a more indepth CPU meter with CoreTemp. Use the regular cpu meter for the main system.ini, and when you click on the CPU meter, it the CPU model, multicore info, temperatures, and then be able to close it. Just an idea, just so that it doesn't clutter up the screen but is accessible to those who want it. Then there is always the good ol' RSS feed which has become my main use of Rainmeter.

Anyways, to sum this all up, wonderful job, and I can't wait to see the final result!
This is my keyboard. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
MarcoPixel

Post by MarcoPixel »

minia 1.0.0

Download:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27682432/Releases/minia_1.0.0.rmskin

Changes:
Made Black/White Option for Texts
Packed it with Rainmeter Skin Packager