It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:30 am

Rainmeter Enigma Notes - Locate file on VPN Network

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
prose

Rainmeter Enigma Notes - Locate file on VPN Network

Post by prose »

Hello all,

I have a pretty simple (i think) request... I'd like to point the location of my notes file over a VPN network to be shared by my multiple machines... however, when I change the directory to a network location, the notes go blank... c:\location\location\notes.txt for instance works, however \\computer-name\notes.txt does not work... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
sgtevmckay

Re: Rainmeter Enigma Notes - Locate file on VPN Network

Post by sgtevmckay »

tHE SIMPLEST WAY i KNOW TO DO THIS WOULD REALLY BE BASED ON THE ADVANCEMENTS OR FREEDOMS THAT ARE ALLOWED BY YOUR vpn SOFTWARE.
Ooos caps :oops:

Either way. Your hopeful best option would be to create and secure your VPN connection, then Map in a network drive with a letter.
You can Map a folder on another network as a drive letter
Then address the notes to this newly mapped drive.

This is the simple ugly way to do it, and only if the VPN software will allow. Certain security policies that can be established by a Network Administrator can prevent the Mapping.
If this is the case another solution will have to be devised.

There is also the possibility of a Synchronization, but again this would have to be an available option or a third party option that can work with your VPN core software.

And :welcome: to the forums
prose

Post by prose »

It's funny because I tried doing that the first time, and for some reason it didn't work but apparently I must have done something wrong as this is now functioning correctly. Thanks!
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

No problem. :D

The problem that I run into with a similar skin in Rainmeter is that I get ahead of the VPN software, and it looks like it will not work, but it is just a matter of the VPN has not had a chance to fully establish and secure it's network routing yet.
Once the VPN is fully established and I have re-acquired my drive (also delayed by Windows), I find my remote skins work just fine.

So for even as impatient as I am, I am still learning patience.

Glad to be of help 8-)