It is currently April 27th, 2024, 9:38 pm

Why can't I change the size of a bitmap?

Get help with creating, editing & fixing problems with skins
bobgrosh

Why can't I change the size of a bitmap?

Post by bobgrosh »

This Skin should show a very small (10 by 10 pixel) image.
Instead it shows it full size no matter what H and W are set to.

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Author=Bob Grosh
Update=50
DynamicWindowSize=1
Group=Art | Art0 | Art7 | Prometheus | Monitor
License=Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 3.0

[Variables]
IX=0
IY=0

MaxNumber=100
Pause=1
Reset=1

[cCounter]
Measure=Calc
Formula=(cCounter-1+(#MaxNumber#+1))%(#MaxNumber#+1)
Dynamicvariables=1

[MeasureScan]
Measure=Calc
Formula=RANDOM
UpdateRandom=1
LowBound=1
HighBound=5
UpdateRandom=1
DynamicVariables=1

[MeterScanner]
Meter=Bitmap
MeasureName=MeasureScan
X=(200-[cCounter]*2)
y=(10+[cCounter]/2)
H=(10*1)
W=(20*1)
BitmapImage=#ROOTCONFIGPATH#Images\Scan1.png
BitmapFrames=5
BitmapExtend=5
AntiAlias=1
DynamicVariables=1
Here is the image.
Scan1.png
It is supposed to simulate the laser scan of a tunnel in the new movie Prometheus. I need to change the size so it gets smaller as it travels down the tunnel and becomes a pinpoint.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Why can't I change the size of a bitmap?

Post by jsmorley »

You just can't size images used in a Bitmap meter in Rainmeter. The math used to divide the image into "frames" is done up front, based on the size of the image and the number of frame requested. This might be able to be changed by re-designing the Bitmap meter, but this would be a very low priority even if possible, as you can simply use separate images, an Image meter, and some !SetOption commands and such to get the more complex result without altering Bitmap.
bobgrosh

Post by bobgrosh »

Darn.
Using a multi rfamed bitmap seemed like such an easy way to acomplish what I wanted.

One little note here:

I have been lead astray before by situations like this. The problem is the documentation.

The General settings section of the manual starts out listing Meter as the first option.

Under meter types we find BAR BITMAP BUTTON, etc.

Other options follow with MeterStyle, MeasureName, X, Y, W, H, etc

This lead me to believe that W and H would work for Bitmap.

I have no problem with listing and documenting all these General Settings on one page, that is fine, it reduces the clutter on the pages that document the types of meters.

However, It would save a lot of user frustration if each of the pages for the meters (and perhaps measures), contained a line of links to the General Settings sections.
For Example, the bitmap page could change the Options heading to "Bitmap Specific Options"
Then the following could be added befor the Options heading;
-------------------------------------

General Options
General options for Bitmap are: (Link to http://rainmeter.net/cms/Meters-GeneralSettings_beta)
Meter MeterStyle MeasureName X Y Hidden UpdateDivider SolidColor SolidColor2 GradientAngle BevelType AntiAlias
The W and H Options are not available with Bitmap.

Bitmap Specific Option
----------------------------------------
Please note that the above change May not be correct. I also had trouble using SolidColor,SolidColor and GredientAngle with Bitmap. That may have just been me, or perhaps there are other General Options that don't work with Bitmap.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I added a note about W and H in the docs for Bitmap.

Bitmap is a very specific meter type, and one of the earlier ones added to Rainmeter. Its only real advantage is the relative simplicity of using it to get a simple animation or to display a series of images based on some measure value. It can't use many of the modification options available on an Image meter. This is also true to some extent with a Button meter, which also can't be resized or have some of the modification options on Image meter applied.