It is currently May 1st, 2024, 6:18 pm

DesktopWorkArea beta-r1320 (bug)

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Xenbox

Re: DesktopWorkArea beta-r1320 (bug)

Post by Xenbox »

poiru wrote: That means that you just got lucky with r1304 a few times :) I suspect some other application is (re)setting the DWA settings. There isn't much we can do about this, unfortunately.
Yea sounds about right, shame tho it don't auto refresh after 5 or 10 seconds ( or an option to turn this on/off) would fix it :D not sure if this is easy to do or if it should be even added.

Thanks tho, I'll just hope to get lucky some more than :rolmfao:
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

In answer to your thought about refreshing Rainmeter on some timed basis...

You could have a skin (it could even just be an invisible one) that you run as part of your setup that refreshes Rainmeter after some period of time on reboot, which would reset the DesktopWorkArea in Rainmeter.ini

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000

[MeasureUpTime]
Measure=UpTime
Group=Measures

[MeasureAction]
Measure=Calc
Group=Measures
Formula=MeasureUpTime
IfEqualValue=300
IfEqualAction=!RefreshApp
IfAboveValue=300
IfAboveAction=!DisableMeasureGroup Measures

[MeterOne]
Meter=String
If you run this skin along with your others, when Rainmeter is first started or refreshed, it will sit and watch your system's uptime. When it hits 300 seconds (5 minutes) it will refresh all of Rainmeter. If the uptime is above the value you set, it will just disable itself and sit there taking virtually no resources.

The key here is to set that IfEqualValue setting to a number that gives your system time to boot all the way up and get Rainmeter running, so the value isn't already past by the time Rainmeter gets there.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

You could also just add that functionality to an existing skin...
Xenbox

Post by Xenbox »

jsmorley wrote:In answer to your thought about refreshing Rainmeter on some timed basis...

You could have a skin (it could even just be an invisible one) that you run as part of your setup that refreshes Rainmeter after some period of time on reboot, which would reset the DesktopWorkArea in Rainmeter.ini

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000

[MeasureUpTime]
Measure=UpTime

[MeasureAction]
Measure=Calc
Formula=MeasureUpTime
IfEqualValue=300
IfAboveValue=300
IfAboveAction=!DisableMeasure MeasureAction

[MeterOne]
Meter=String
If you run this skin along with your others, when Rainmeter is first started or refreshed, it will sit and watch your system's uptime. When it hits 300 seconds (5 minutes) it will refresh all of Rainmeter. If the uptime is above the value you set, it will just disable itself and sit there taking virtually no resources.

The key here is to set that IfEqualValue setting to a number that gives your system time to boot all the way up and get Rainmeter running, so the value isn't already past by the time Rainmeter gets there.
OH! this is funky, Whats the "disable itself" for than jsmorley? why would I need this part? (new to rainmeter and still learning :great:
Cheers
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Well, my thinking is that if the "uptime" has past, you never need to check it again until the system is again rebooted, so why have it even bother using any resources getting the uptime and checking it. In my revised code above, I have both measures in a "group" that you just disable once the uptime is past. Then the skin basically does nothing until the system is rebooted.
Xenbox

Post by Xenbox »

jsmorley wrote:Well, my thinking is that if the "uptime" has past, you never need to check it again until the system is again rebooted, so why have it even bother using any resources getting the uptime and checking it. In my revised code above, I have both measures in a "group" that you just disable once the uptime is past. Then the skin basically does nothing until the system is rebooted.
AHH for this skin only right not all other rainmeters :D I get you now, Thanks and great idea I'll give this a try than and post the results

Cheers :thumbup:
Xenbox

Post by Xenbox »

Hey jsmorley, I tryed this mate and it also don't seem to be working. I did this right right? (see rar file)
Refresh.rar
Than I just turn it on like any other skin and let it run?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Vodkaholic wrote:Hey jsmorley, I tryed this mate and it also don't seem to be working. I did this right right? (see rar file)
Refresh.rar
Than I just turn it on like any other skin and let it run?

Thanks
Yep. I just tested and it worked fine for me. You need to load it, then reboot. Rainmeter will remember that you had it running and will load it again when it starts up. Then when the number of seconds of uptime is reached, it will refresh all of Rainmeter and go to sleep until you reboot again.
Xenbox

Post by Xenbox »

jsmorley wrote: Yep. I just tested and it worked fine for me. You need to load it, then reboot. Rainmeter will remember that you had it running and will load it again when it starts up. Then when the number of seconds of uptime is reached, it will refresh all of Rainmeter and go to sleep until you reboot again.
hmm that's what I did twice, I'll try it again than cheers
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I would alter it slightly like this:

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000

[MeasureUpTime]
Measure=UpTime
Group=Measures

[MeasureAction]
Measure=Calc
Group=Measures
Formula=MeasureUpTime
IfEqualValue=300
IfAboveValue=300
IfAboveAction=!DisableMeasureGroup Measures

[MeterOne]
Meter=String
So it turns off both measures when it is "done".