It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:39 am

A question of Bits - Did I Just Screw Up BAD???

Post reviews, recommendations and questions about other software.
iUnify

A question of Bits - Did I Just Screw Up BAD???

Post by iUnify »

I have a HP Compaq CQ60 215DX - I upgraded to 4gigs of RAM. The specs for the computer are all at this link:
<<<< http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01631364&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN >>>>

The system came with Vista (x86) Home Premium. I've had several issue that have caused me to seek out a 64bit OS and now my opportunity is on the horizon and I am scared.

Obviously 4gigs of RAM doesn't work in 32bit OS (Info that would have been very helpful before I bought the extra RAM- or when the salesman sold it to me saying how the laptop was upgradable to 4 gigs, never mentioning that I'd need to get another OS to actually have it work). This was my initial reason to attain a 64bit OS. With all of my computer issues HP (after FOUR hours of tribulations on the phone) is making me a new laptop and I will be sending my old one back in the new box.

The laptop will follow the specifications of the link above with the exception of the following:

Compaq Presario CQ60Z customizable Notebook PC
# Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit) - QUALIFIED FOR FREE WINDOWS 7 64-BIT UPGRADE)
# AMD Athlon(TM) X2 Dual-Core Processor for Notebook PCs QL-65 (2.1GHz, 1MB L2 Cache)
# 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
# 320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
# NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G with 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader and HDMI
# 15.6" diagonal High Definition HP LED Brightview Display (1366x768)
# LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support
# Microphone + Webcam
# Wireless-G Card with Bluetooth
# HP Color Matching Keyboard
# 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
# 65W Adapter
# Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
# HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Now you know my specs and a bit of background....

So here is the question: I have never used a 64bit OS. I have heard good and bad. It's great I can use more than 4g memory but the laptop wont hold that anyways. It is great that I can make use of the FULL 4 gigs now (my laptop currently only uses 2.7 of the 4g) BUT I have been told that 64-bit OS Vista/7 uses more system resources anyways. And than, there is the issue of drivers. How bad is it really? How many programs that I currently have will not work? (I know you'd need specifics but I am asking in general). And what about the fact that unless an application IS 64-bit I wont get use of my computers full potential (or is that just if I had more than 4 gigs memory).

So basically I need to know did I make the wrong choice!? Due to my specs will I regret having a 64bit OS or will things run smoother. I can't understand why what I have no isn't enough. Before this computer I had 1gig of ram and 2ghz Single core processor. The jump seemed significant but the computer just drags a lot. I am a big multitask guy but come on, just because Photoshop, Rainmeter, Windows Vista Sidebar and Gadgets maybe a notepad doc or two and Firefox with 5 pages inside are running the Computer should be slow? That just doesn't seem right- it should be able to do A LOT more than that. :(

I will be using Vista 64bit until 7 is out. Than I will be using 7-64bit. I have both 32 and 64bit in Vista but when I get Windows 7 it will only be 64bit.

Can you PLEASE review my stats and tell me what I need to do? What is a better OS for me? Will having Ultimate or another Version besides Home Premium make a difference? Do I just need a better Computer? Will the larger HD by 100g make any difference? will the 1/10th of speed in my 2.1 ghz processor make any difference? Will the use of the rest of the RAM from 2.7 to 4 make that much a difference?

I really just don't know and I AM SCARED! Please help me!

Lastly I have one other question completely unrelated to the bit of the OS. :roll:

The major issues are the laptop is always SO, SO, SO hot... I bought the fan that goes under the laptop with extra USB ports and it has done NOTHING. I eventually bought a big room fan and put the PC on a metal desk without a solid surface underneath the PC. Now the top are of the keyboard is VERY, VERY hot. So I out a big room fan near the PC and blow it across the top of the laptop. Keep in mind that I have a nice desk for my computer I haven't used because of this for 9 months. Is this just a laptop? I installed speed fan.... without a fan on the PC it reaches a temperature that Speed Fan tells me DANGER, TOO HOT! This happens in a matter of 20 min or less. Is this normal? What am I supposed to do? I have been having the blue screen of death recently and it says something about Crash Dump.....it is something to do with the Hard Drive I think... maybe the memory. Can the heat effect this? Should I be taking out my extra RAM so it doesn't get ruined?

Thanks so much for your time everyone! Thanks for your comments and suggestions- it is greatly appreciated. I sure hope that information here can resolve this issue at least to some extent in my mind. I really need to know what is happening with this so thank you very much for your time and assistance to anyone who can help. ;)

Hope to hear back- good or bad, whatever you got, don't hold back! :'( <--------- that's not tears, it's sweat! I promise.... :D
Chewtoy

Re: A question of Bits - Did I Just Screw Up BAD???

Post by Chewtoy »

iUnify wrote:Obviously 4gigs of RAM doesn't work in 32bit OS
It most certainly can! But then you need to use Ubuntu or some other OS that does what it should (Yes. You got 3.12GB for your applications, the rest is used by the system for background processes. In windows, it's just ignored as far as I can tell).
But to use it fully for your applications, you indeed nedd 64-bit.

iUnify wrote:So here is the question: I have never used a 64bit OS. I have heard good and bad. It's great I can use more than 4g memory but the laptop wont hold that anyways. It is great that I can make use of the FULL 4 gigs now (my laptop currently only uses 2.7 of the 4g) BUT I have been told that 64-bit OS Vista/7 uses more system resources anyways. And than, there is the issue of drivers. How bad is it really? How many programs that I currently have will not work? (I know you'd need specifics but I am asking in general). And what about the fact that unless an application IS 64-bit I wont get use of my computers full potential (or is that just if I had more than 4 gigs memory).
Well. It's hard to say really. It all depends on the manufacturer. Hopefully, they too know that the world is going towards 64bit and is supplying with 64bit drivers. But like with basically all things, the old ones got better support.
I've never really used a 64bit system as I don't have more then 2GB RAM, so I may not be the best person to answer. But I THINK that the 32bit applications would work as if it's on a 32bit system. Or not at all... That one I've heard plenty of times.

iUnify wrote:The major issues are the laptop is always SO, SO, SO hot...
That's because HP tends to produce some really crappy laptops... I got a Compaq 6720s myself. And the CPU is always around 60-80°C. What you can do is violate some insurance requirements and fix a new casing for the entire laptop putting more fans and cooling equipment in the new one.

I suppose that if you are afraid that the laptop will burn anything, you can take them out...
I don't think, therefore I'm not.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

If you are unsure, you can just stay with Windows 32bit. It will use 3.5gig of the 4gig just fine. So you have .5gig not being used at this time. Not a big deal. 64bit is nice, but has a few challenges as you move into it. You need to get a handle on the difference between Program Files and Program Files (x86), there will be a few (mostly older) utilities or even apps that won't like 64bit, and you may want to look at your drivers to see it they need upgrading to 64bit versions.

Stay with what you have, ignore the .5gig of memory missing, and then move to 64 as and when you get comfortable with it.
Pseudo Lemon

Post by Pseudo Lemon »

about the overheating, I got the same model of laptop as you and i have the same problems. The main fan (upper left corner on the bottom) is the only fan in the system. The rest are just vents. If you have the main fan over the edge of whatever your laptop's on it should be fine. I have the same processor, and I've been running programs that were built for Windows 95. 32 bit programs run fine on it, and other than overheating and Vista acting up from time to time, I have had no problems. Final word of advice: Though 32 bit programs run on your computer, if you can get a 64 bit version, do it.
iUnify

Post by iUnify »

Hey man, thanks for the replies on the forum. So, I just got my laptop replaced- it's a bit better- and 64bit Vista Home Premium free upgrade to Win7.

I have a room fan under the PC, but I'm not using my computer desk like I want to- it's a metal shelf I made into a desk I put in front of my TV- simply because it doesn't have a solid surface, the top is made like this....
|| | | | || | | | ||
|| | | | || | | | ||
|| | | | || | | | ||
--------------------------------------------------------------
(Awesome picture, eh?) :lol:

Anyways, it works great but I can't even use the desk- which is where my Monitor is which I'd rather use than the laptop screen.

Ah.... well, what can you do? So the Laptop has just been replaced by a 2.1Ghz and 4gig ram, 64bit OS and a larger HD by 100gigs 350....LED monitor from LCD and some other little things like I didn't have a web-cam built in and stuff... I priced it on HP and it actually came to 790 without tax and I paid 420 with tax when I bought it in Jan or something maybe March? Something like that... but I am so excited it was replaced, not refurbished.

I wonder if this computer will be better with the heat issue? I should have freakin' said something... I bet I could have gotten HP to give me a lot more- I am always the kinda guy who talks and talks and talks to get better stuff for cheap and I didn't do that at all with this- I'd made a joke about giving me the best Laptop they sold as a replacement and when it came time to talk he just offered the upgrades...guess I was shocked. I have been kicking myself in the ass about that the last few days.....anyways...

How do you resolve you heat issues? Has it overheated on you? Does it get hot on top and bottom?

When I bring it places and use it on Batt it literally burns my lap it's so hot, I haven't taken it from the fan in months.

Hey do you think I should keep the battery out of the new one since I only use it plugged in?

Bye!

Edit: Er, that little beautiful artwork I depicted above didn't come out right at all.... I'm not that bad. :o
smk

Post by smk »

umm about your heat issue, one thing you can do is buy these little laptop stands that have a build in fan on the bottem, they run around $50 or around there, theat might help, the othere way to go is a little trickey, 2 ways, mod your lap top case( basicly cut it up and stuff, pusting in colling fins) or to by a new laptop case that has good colling