It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:43 pm

We could lose AccuWeather folks!!!!!

Release announcements and important news from the developers.
maminscris

Re: We could lose AccuWeather folks!!!!!

Post by maminscris »

karmat wrote:What happened to change that?
we just change xoap with xml
karmat

Post by karmat »

Alex2539 wrote:Originally, no one knew that we could still use Weather.com. The URL's used were always "http://xoap.weather.com/..." and when those became private, that was the end of Weather.com skins. There was then a shift toward Accuweather and we even managed to bang out a deal with them to get ourselves a great feed in exchange for sending a little bit of advertising their way. Later someone would discover that you could simple switch out the "xoap" in the URL for "xml" and Weather.com was back in the running. But, since we had a good thing going with Accuweather and the legality of that "xml" site was questionable (even though it wasn't protected, it wasn't meant to be public either), we sort of just shied away from Weather.com altogether.

In other news, have you seen the Accuweather site lately? They've definitely cleaned it up a bit.
Alex, that's what I thought, just wondered what had happened to make it okay to use the xml?

And, no, I haven't checked out Accuweather lately, but I will now.
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

It wasn't so much that it wasn't OK to use xml, but more that we weren't sure if it was or was not technically infringing a copyright (it's a little hazy). So no one was really saying we couldn't use it, but it wasn't really officially advocated, just in case. Then eventually with the rise of Accuweather, it just wasn't an issue at all.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

Alex has this right on the head.

Even as I make the skins that I am now, ultimately I will make contractual matching skin.
Eventually if folks want to use the skin, they may need to get the information and sign up for a legitimate account through Weather.com

I know it is hard to swallow, and I do not completely endorse the full concept wither, but I will use the tools available to us.
Let's go this way: Weather.com has neither pulled this back up XML, or posted any "foul" letters in their posts or to any other media that I am aware of, and it has been since last June.

Ultimately it is an individuals call, and I have put a disclaimer in my current skins build, that should be released latter to day.

Ultimately I have been handed an alternate solution, but have been keeping it to myself, as the dirty waters of AccuWeather is still fresh in all our minds.
WorldWeatherOnline.com has offered to sponsor Weather for the Rainmeter community.
They understand fully the situation that eventually plagued AccuWeather, and that we can promise NOTHING
But for the price of a Graphic image and a statement of; "Weather sponsored by WorldWeatherOnline" that links to their paid account, they are willing to allow the Rainmeter community have access to a fairly extensive weather Current report and Forecast.
This graphic would need to be place in the forum footer, and in the homepage footers as well.
And we get to make the graphic
But this is again, something I have been keeping quiet.
It is not a decision I would make alone

Something to consider, it is a small price to pay for the return, and they know that this situation woulf be almost all take and no give, but it is a risk they are willing to take.

any ways I leave it at that.

I am going to us the Weather.com feed and get this set of skins out
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

As best I can tell, for now the xml feed for Weather.com is come one come all. The xoap feed we used to use has been made "subscription" or at least "register" access.
TRSyntax

Post by TRSyntax »

soo.. is rainmeter.accu-weather.com gone?
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

Yes.
StackOverflow

Post by StackOverflow »

Hi, i'm new to this forum, so let me just say what a fantastic job your'll all doing. I've been following this thread for a bit & my question is:
Why not just have users subscribe using weather.com and include in the string enter partnerid enter key?
I did this for the HUD skin & works great, & I'm outside the US.
Sorry If you have all covered this before.
Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

StackOverflow wrote:Hi, i'm new to this forum, so let me just say what a fantastic job your'll all doing. I've been following this thread for a bit & my question is:
Why not just have users subscribe using weather.com and include in the string enter partnerid enter key?
I did this for the HUD skin & works great, & I'm outside the US.
Sorry If you have all covered this before.

We don't want to force people to sign any leagal contracts just to be able to use the full capacity of rainmeter - quite simply. By subscribing you are entering a leagal contract with weather.com, I'd rather avoid makeing any leagal contracts what so ever. But if it works for you - Great! But it's not anything we want to promote to the masses that you SHOULD do, but if you do, weather.com's probably get very happy.
Benjamin Linus

Post by Benjamin Linus »

Sarge has already stated a few posts above that he is in dialogue with a new potential weather partner for rainmeter users.
Hang loose everyone.
Don't Panic :!:

I am pretty sure the weather.com xml feed won't last forever, so make hay whilst the sun shines :D