It is currently May 1st, 2024, 3:10 pm

The List of some bugs and questions

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
~Faradey~

Re: The List of some bugs and questions

Post by ~Faradey~ »

Hello,i decided to not create new thread) i'm about !Redraw again
Don't you think it would be more correct to have !RedrawMeter and !RedrawMeterGroup as aditional bangs?
The reason why i'm asking about and also it may be considered as suggestion is when skin has pretty much metters and graphics in it, it makes Rainmeter to become slower in updating or it is better to say redrawing. It is not happening with regular skins and regular update value (1000), but when using "on demand animation", i mean through lua or through WindowMessage. By meaning "on demand" i meant that overall update value can be any (exmpl. 10000) but i still can send !UpdateMeter and !Redraw for a number of times to animate something in skin. If you still don't understand what i'm talking about, what king of animations, and how it can be possible using hight update rate, then you should try my suite (Kotoko i mean, taskbar skin for example).
Recently i found a way to use same approach in lua as i used in my addons to animate things in skins, but there is a problem, as i wrote earlier at the top of this message it will redraw all meters and this is not good considering that i have more then 15000 lines in one skin, so it may be the same as full-screen skin.
But if we could redraw only those meters what we need then animations would become possible in any skin even in full-screen i think. Or this would not help? what do you think guys?

And second question, i have already asked about but didn't get strong no or yes answer.
"Is it possible in any future or somehow now to make lua works parallel with rainmeter and not consequentially by "freezing" skin even in very short period of time?"
This question is about using lua to animate thing in skin.

Sorry for many words and mistakes in it)
poiru
Developer

Re: The List of some bugs and questions

Post by poiru »

~Faradey~ wrote:Hello,i decided to not create new thread) i'm about !Redraw again
Don't you think it would be more correct to have !RedrawMeter and !RedrawMeterGroup as aditional bangs?
This is not trivial, so I doubt it will be implemented any time soon. For example, consider the case where meters A and B are both partially transparent and overlap. When meter A is redrawn, B must also be redrawn to produce the correct/expected result.

In its current state, Rainmeter isn't exactly designed for animation. That said, animation is definitely something we want to add at some point. I will probably start working on it after school is over (in about 7 weeks).
~Faradey~ wrote:"Is it possible in any future or somehow now to make lua works parallel with rainmeter and not consequentially by "freezing" skin even in very short period of time?"
This question is about using lua to animate thing in skin.
No, not at the moment. In the future, support for Lua "callbacks" may be added. This would allow you to run a Lua function e.g. every 10ms without freezing Rainmeter in between. But this is just speculation -- nothing is set it stone at this point.