It is currently April 28th, 2024, 4:17 pm

Newbie Guide for temp?

Get help with installing and using Rainmeter.
jage

Newbie Guide for temp?

Post by jage »

All I want is temperatures but everytime I sit down to plow through stuff I wind up going "this is taking too much time" before coming up with anything.

Some issues:
Finding stuff on deviantArt but don't know how to use it in rainmeter
Tutorials say SpeedFan has to be running, some include a dll but no instructions
Tried Omnimo and still not temps, then it was nearly impossible to get rid of (deleted everything but default)

So where is the clueless newbie guide to getting temps to show? Or a basic guide that would clue me in to how rainmeter customization works (blindly throwing skins at my desktop has gotten old).
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Newbie Guide for temp?

Post by jsmorley »

Temperatures can be done with a couple of different plugins in Rainmeter, I will describe how to do it with the Speedfan plugin, as that is what I use.

The Speedfan plugin comes with Rainmeter, and there is no need or reason to download any .dll for Rainmeter. Any skin that includes one is making a mistake, and you need to just re-install Rainmeter over top of the existing installation if a skin has replaced the latest Speedfan .dll in Rainmeter\Plugins with an older one.

You do need to install the latest version of the Speedfan application, found here: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php and put a shortcut to it in your Windows "Startup" folder in the Start menu so it automatically runs when Windows starts.

After you run Speedfan, open its GUI and decide which temperature sensors you wish to monitor in your Rainmeter skin. There can be many depending on your case, motherboard, CPU, graphics card, etc. They are listed in the speedfan app in order from 0 to xx, depending on how many you have.
12-5-2011 12-26-01 PM.jpg
Now create or modify a Rainmeter skin. There are tons on deviantART that use Speedfan, but let's create a really simple one so you can see how it works and what to look for if you decide to modify an existing skin.

Create a new folder in Documents\Rainmeter\Skins called MyTemp. In it, create a new text file called MyTemp.ini. Open that text file in any text editor and add:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
DynamicWindowSize=1

[MeasureCPUCore]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=SpeedFanPlugin.dll
SpeedFanType=TEMPERATURE
SpeedFanNumber=6

[MeasureGPU]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=SpeedFanPlugin.dll
SpeedFanType=TEMPERATURE
SpeedFanNumber=0

[MeterCPUCore]
MeasureName=MeasureCPUCore
Meter=String
X=0
Y=0
FontSize=12
FontColor=255,255,255,255
StringStyle=Bold
Antialias=1
Text=CPUCore: %1°C

[MeterGPU]
MeasureName=MeasureGPU
Meter=String
X=0
Y=2R
FontSize=12
FontColor=255,255,255,255
StringStyle=Bold
Antialias=1
Text=GPU: %1°C
Save and refresh Rainmeter. Now load your new skin...

So you simply create measures using the Speedfan plugin for Rainmeter, telling each which sensor in Speedfan you wish to monitor. Then you create meters to display the results.
12-5-2011 12-46-43 PM.jpg
If you want more information on how to create and edit skins, it can be found here: http://rainmeter.net/cms/Rainmeter101
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
h20

Post by h20 »

thanks for the write up i learned so much from it :D
anyway to change from Celsius to Fahrenheit?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

h20 wrote:thanks for the write up i learned so much from it :D
anyway to change from Celsius to Fahrenheit?
There is a option setting in the Speedfan plugin to return Fahrenheit instead of Celsius.

http://rainmeter.net/cms/Plugins-SpeedFan_beta
h20

Post by h20 »

had to add string _SpeedFanScale=f
and change this string to_Text=CPUCore: %1°f
thanks again i wouldn't have been able to even figure that out if it were not for your write up. :D
Eminent

Post by Eminent »

im trying to get to Fahrenheit as well but I'm using open hardware monitor so would i use the

string _open hardware monitor=f
string to_Text=CPUCore: %1°f

insted of speedfan.?

-------------------CPU1 Temp----------------------
[Measure CPU0 Temp]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Plugins\OpenHardwareMonitorPlugin.dll
Hardware=AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor
Type=Temperature
Sensor=Core #1 - #4

[Label CPU0]
Meter=STRING
StringAlign=Left
X=150
Y=66
FontColor=#FontColor3#
FontSize=6
FontFace=#FontName3#
AntiAlias=0
Text=Core 1-2

[Meter CPU0 Temp]
Meter=STRING
StringAlign=Right
X=230
Y=66
FontColor=#FontColor3#
FontSize=6
FontFace=#FontName3#
AntiAlias=0
MeasureName=Measure CPU0 Temp
Postfix="°c"
Alex Becherer

Post by Alex Becherer »

i might be wrong, but there is no plugin for Open Hardware Monitor.
you either have to use SpeedFan or CoreTemp. it might be possible to use the Window Message plugin to get some results, but don't count on that.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Alex Becherer wrote:i might be wrong, but there is no plugin for Open Hardware Monitor.
you either have to use SpeedFan or CoreTemp. it might be possible to use the Window Message plugin to get some results, but don't count on that.
There is one, written by a 3rd party. I'm not sure how well it works or doesn't work.

http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=42742#p42742
Eminent

Post by Eminent »

Yes i do have open hardware monitor plug-in, im using it cause it reports more info on the sensors, like chip set temp,hdd,vid,cpu ect. i have it all configured and its reading accurate,as i also was using speedfan and they both reported the same temps,i'm just trying to figure out how to get it to Fahrenheit,Been changing a few things to see, and just cant quit figure it out yet, so i thought i would ask in here..thanks for everyone's time on this .cheers :beer:
MerlinTheRed
Rainmeter Sage

Post by MerlinTheRed »

If it doesn't provide a native option to display fahrenheit, just use a calc measure and convert it yourself.
Have more fun creating skins with Sublime Text 2 and the Rainmeter Package!