It is currently April 27th, 2024, 2:43 pm

Weather Underground XML API deprecated

General topics related to Rainmeter.
FlyingHyrax

Weather Underground XML API deprecated

Post by FlyingHyrax »

I don't know when this happened, I just saw it today though. It looks like Wunderground.com has deprecated the use of their old XML feed and is moving to a shiny new JSON-based system, complete with Keys and tiered pricing based on requests per day/minute (not that Rainmeter can make use of JSON anyway though, right?)

Reference:
http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/API_-_XML#CAUTION.21_This_API_is_Deprecated.
http://www.wunderground.com/weather/api/

As such, there is now the risk that someday soon Wunderground will shut down the XML feed, rendering current Rainmeter weather skins based on it useless. Hopefully the feed will stick around like Weather.com's old feed seemed to. It's frustrating to keep having to look for new weather sources and recode skins to work with whichever feed happens to be both legal and functional at the moment.
Flying Hyrax on DeviantArt
poiru
Developer

Re: Weather Underground XML API deprecated

Post by poiru »

FlyingHyrax wrote:not that Rainmeter can make use of JSON anyway though, right?
Yeah, WebParser can parse JSON fine.

According to their pages:
Are you a student or a non-commercial developer? We want to support your data needs and we invite you to use our API for free. Contact us for a free key.
I'm both a student and a non-commercial developer, so I'm probably eligible for a free key (not sure which tier they'd give, though). The problem is that the key should be kept private, which can't really be done without a dedicated plugin or some Wunderground specific code in WebParser.
FlyingHyrax

Post by FlyingHyrax »

poiru wrote: Yeah, WebParser can parse JSON fine.
That's good news - I don't know anything about JSON, so I wasn't sure.
poiru wrote: According to their pages: I'm both a student and a non-commercial developer, so I'm probably eligible for a free key (not sure which tier they'd give, though).
That's also good news - I didn't read their description very thoroughly so I missed that. My concern would be that they would still impose a rate limit. 500 reqs/day could go by fast...
Flying Hyrax on DeviantArt
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

FlyingHyrax wrote:That's also good news - I didn't read their description very thoroughly so I missed that. My concern would be that they would still impose a rate limit. 500 reqs/day could go by fast...
Yeah, but that tier is free for all (including commercial) developers anyway. The offer for non-commercial/students probably comes with a better plan.