It is currently October 4th, 2024, 8:36 am

NowPlaying plugin - Multiple Media Player Support

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
LittleHuba

full Zune support

Post by LittleHuba »

Hi everybody,

I like this plugin a lot. :D
But for me it would be great if there would be a better support of Zune. I really hope there is a way to make this... The most important for me would be support for the STATE measure. But all the other functions would be great too ;)

I don't know how I could implement it too Rainmeter myself but if there is a way I could do it, I would learn it. :)
poiru
Developer

Re: full Zune support

Post by poiru »

LittleHuba wrote:But for me it would be great if there would be a better support of Zune. I really hope there is a way to make this... The most important for me would be support for the STATE measure. But all the other functions would be great too ;)
Unfortunately there is no way to get more detailed information from Zune. This is a Zune limitation, not a NowPlaying limitation. Complain to Microsoft :D
LittleHuba

Re: NowPlaying plugin - Multiple Media Player Support

Post by LittleHuba »

Hi,

ohh... I hate it... :twisted: Complaining to Microsoft is like talking to a wall... :? They don't answer, they aren't interested. I hope I can find a workaround somehow... Maby I can program some little tool that reads the stats directly from the zune gui. I'll try it. If I have success, I'll post a link to the tool here.

But thanks for the answer! :)

LH
Ahnìon

Post by Ahnìon »

Greetings, and just to join in the choir, as it were: thank you, poiru for this brilliant plugin!

Now, as I understand it, the plugin pulls information out of the file tags. Is there anything really stopping you from adding a function to pull information from any given tag by its name? I realise this may end up being a bit more complicated to use, and it might not be a sensible replacement for the presently available measures, but it would be an enormous boon for those of us who can't help but want a little more information, such as year, genre, track number and so on.

Oh, also, happy new year, I suppose. ;)
death is a sausage! .
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

Ahnìon wrote:Now, as I understand it, the plugin pulls information out of the file tags. Is there anything really stopping you from adding a function to pull information from any given tag by its name?
Metadata retrieval is quite different from player to player. For some, NowPlaying reads the tags directly from the file. For others, NowPlaying obtains the data from the player itself.

It is unlikely that I will add player specific options (e.g. WinampTagType=) for NowPlaying. That said, I will be adding support for year, genre, and track number for the first Rainmeter 2.3 beta release (which will be released in three weeks) :)

Is there any demand for other information?
Seahorse

Post by Seahorse »

Open file requester directly for the current media player is a piece of functionality I would like to see if possible please... :thumbup:
"Regrettably your planet is one of those scheduled for demolition"
Mike

My Skins at DeviantArt

Ahnìon

Post by Ahnìon »

poiru wrote:Metadata retrieval is quite different from player to player. For some, NowPlaying reads the tags directly from the file. For others, NowPlaying obtains the data from the player itself.

It is unlikely that I will add player specific options (e.g. WinampTagType=) for NowPlaying. That said, I will be adding support for year, genre, and track number for the first Rainmeter 2.3 beta release (which will be released in three weeks) :)

Is there any demand for other information?
Ah, well. Nice to see we're getting more data, though. :)

Bitrate would be nice, though that's not actually in a tag, is it?

Will you be adding track number from tags (i.e. album track number,) from player playlist or both?

Really, the whole present day base set of "standard" tags is going to be interesting at one point or another.

That is to say something like:
  • Disc Number
  • Total Discs
  • Album Artist
  • Composer
  • Conductor
  • Remixer
  • Label
  • Original Artist
  • Comment
  • Part of a Set
  • BPM
Also, seeing as there is tentative support for lyrics, you might also want to consider the Lyricist tag.

I've undoubtedly missed something, but then requests for new values are going to pop up from time to time, anyway.

The general issue here is that some of these values are going to be vital to some people, and which ones those are is going to vary. (For example, for the players where you pull the values directly from the tag, ARTIST is going to be the performer(s) rather than the composer for classical works, which can create major confusion.) That's why I went for the question about more direct tag extraction instead of listing values to begin with. I wanted to make sure the solution couldn't be generalised before asking for specifics. ;)

I should say I like the feature set as it is, but there's always going to be the nagging feeling that I'd like to add this or that piece of information. :)
death is a sausage! .
Yarbone

Post by Yarbone »

hey, quick question...
I'm using a progress bar but it doesn't run very smoothly. I've got the width of the bar to be the width of my screen (1920) so I realize that might be kinda wide. The thing is that this wasn't a problem when I wasn't using the NowPlaying plugin. Is this fixable?

got update set to 500, but the bar seems to update every 2 seconds or so o:
poiru
Developer

Post by poiru »

Yarbone wrote:hey, quick question...
I'm using a progress bar but it doesn't run very smoothly. I've got the width of the bar to be the width of my screen (1920) so I realize that might be kinda wide. The thing is that this wasn't a problem when I wasn't using the NowPlaying plugin. Is this fixable?

got update set to 500, but the bar seems to update every 2 seconds or so o:
Could you upload your skin so I can give it a try?
Yarbone

Post by Yarbone »

poiru wrote:Could you upload your skin so I can give it a try?
Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?x0i3jo663w8vflz

I'm quite new to this so I might have missed something really obvious.