It is currently October 23rd, 2024, 11:30 pm

Help With Chameleon Plugin

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: Help With Chameleon Plugin

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: October 7th, 2024, 4:41 pmThis is a minor annoyance, but I'm quite sure a lot of folks are going to hate it. Microsoft needs to allow you to "hide" this icon, or at least put it in "hidden" area under the caret on the taskbar.
Indeed - good to know what the future holds. So, you mean you cannot control whether the icon is shown or not via the taskbar settings? :jawdrop
Taskbar Settings.jpg
I get the same behavior when I use AudioLevel (I think) on Win 10, a microphone icon pops up in the taskbar, but it can be set to not show.
jsmorley wrote: October 7th, 2024, 4:41 pmThere won't be any more "stable" version...
What we do for the "progress" of mankind... :???:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: October 7th, 2024, 4:58 pm Indeed - good to know what the future holds. So, you mean you cannot control whether the icon is shown or not via the taskbar settings? :jawdrop
I get the same behavior when I use AudioLevel (I think) on Win 10, a microphone icon pops up in the taskbar, but it can be set to not show.
Nope, the "Taskbar" settings panel is very different than that.

And guess what... You can't hide that microphone icon either, unless you restrict all access to the mic by desktop apps... It just gets combined with the "Location" icon.

1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: October 7th, 2024, 5:21 pm Nope, the "Taskbar" settings panel is very different than that.

And guess what... You can't hide that microphone icon either, unless you restrict all access to the mic by desktop apps... It just gets combined with the "Location" icon.

1.jpg
Oh, I see - combining them into one icon is nice, but obviously not being able to hide the said icon is not. I guess it might be a way to force the user to always know about these privacy related things (which is not necessarily a bad thing in itself, but highly inconvenient visually speaking). I read somewhere that the yellow rectangle enclosing the screen when recording with OBS in a certain mode has pretty much the same reason (and is also the work of MS). As they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions (if that's indeed the reason here).
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yincognito wrote: October 7th, 2024, 5:44 pm Oh, I see - combining them into one icon is nice, but obviously not being able to hide the said icon is not. I guess it might be a way to force the user to always know about these privacy related things (which is not necessarily a bad thing in itself, but highly inconvenient visually speaking). I read somewhere that the yellow rectangle enclosing the screen when recording with OBS in a certain mode has pretty much the same reason (and is also the work of MS). As they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions (if that's indeed the reason here).
Might just be a question of getting used to it.

To be clear, for both "location services" and "microphone", the only way to hide the icons is 1) don't use anything that accesses them, or 2) turn off access to the functionality for "desktop apps" in Settings. If you do 2), that will break the WiFiStatus and or AudioLevel plugins, and they just won't function.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

jsmorley wrote: October 7th, 2024, 5:46 pm Might just be a question of getting used to it.
Right. Forcing this is what I would have a problem with, not getting used to it... but then I'm sure that at some point a hack will be found to retake control over this too. ;-)
Crest

Post by Crest »

jsmorley wrote: October 7th, 2024, 5:21 pm And guess what... You can't hide that microphone icon either, unless you restrict all access to the mic by desktop apps... It just gets combined with the "Location" icon.
StartAllBack may have a way to hide this (it can also restore the W10 taskbar but Microsoft have increasingly been wanting to remove that code)